Deciding on names for your pedals...

Started by ThePastRecedes, July 27, 2013, 11:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vallhagen

Quote from: RobA on July 28, 2013, 08:00:08 PM
?
?
? ...

Do you suppose it was the creator of the video that put up the website, or was some non-related individual so overwhelmed by the experience of watching that they felt the need to dedicate and entire website to just that video?

No idea at all.. really. I just thought it was pure fun, and that it in some far-fetched way was on topic... Maybe its just my bad humor...

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

RobA

Well, the Pink Fractals name might be considered off limits now :D.

Did you happen to wander over to YouTube and look at the guys other videos? Specifically, this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HonyQqVXg_o
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

culturejam

Quote from: RobA on July 28, 2013, 08:25:13 PM
Just to make this clear, I'm not a lawyer and I have no idea what I'm talking about :D, but hey, here goes anyway. They don't actually have to go after every perceived infringement.

If we're talking different industries/markets, then I think you're right. But if you start up a car company called FORD'S Car Company, even if you only make/sell 10 cars a year, I can just about guarantee you'll get a nasty-gram from Ford Motor Co's counsel. Size is not always relevant. It's the degree of "consumer confusion", or whatever the legal-bots call it. At least that's my understanding of it, but I'm certainly not a lawyer. So anyone reading this should do their own research or contact an attorney for clarity.

Quote from: RobA on July 28, 2013, 08:25:13 PMPatents are very different and as far as I know, you aren't required to defend them to maintain them at all. Although, I really have no idea how that applies to design patents.

None of the "aggressive defense" stuff for trademarks or patents is actually required. But it may help in a future infringement case, and so you see big companies just throw their weight around. I think they do it more out of due diligence (read: CYA) than anything resembling a requirement.  ;D

Another matter to consider is that you don't have to have done anything illegal or infringing to get sued. Someone with a serious grudge and a deep pocket can make your life complicated and cost you a lot of time/money/stress if they really want to. They'll lose the case, but they win because they made you  miserable and cost you some cash.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

And the Monster lawsuits show how some companies stretch the definitions of consumer confusion.

Did they really think that Consumers would confuse their cables with Monster Vintage clothing store or Monster golf
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Quote from: culturejam on July 28, 2013, 07:58:48 PM

There was a case a few years ago in which a woman opened a coffee shop in her hometown. Her last name was actually Starbuck, and she called it "Starbuck's Coffe Shoppe" or something similar. The corporate overlords at Starbucks went after her with a vengeance, and she ended being forced to change the name, even though it was her actual last name.

Yeah, there's no possible way she wasn't trying to cash in on the name and possibly banking on some confusion. That was just stupid.

It doesn't bother me that last names aren't protected when it's the same industry. It does bother me when someone goes outside of their industry to protect their name. They should be content to piss in their own toilet.

hoodoo

How about   "F@#KITITSALLTOOHARD-FX"   ;)

BuGG

Quote from: hoodoo on July 29, 2013, 12:30:14 AM
How about   "F@#KITITSALLTOOHARD-FX"   ;)

Oooh, I like that.

How about 4FXSAKE?   (it's mine! stay back!)

lincolnic

Quote from: BuGG on July 29, 2013, 01:09:59 AM
How about 4FXSAKE?   (it's mine! stay back!)

I dare you to try putting that on your license plate.

Vallhagen

Quote from: RobA on July 28, 2013, 08:33:31 PM
Well, the Pink Fractals name might be considered off limits now :D.

Did you happen to wander over to YouTube and look at the guys other videos? Specifically, this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HonyQqVXg_o

Argh! I want more! Is there a fan-club?

Sorry for the OT part folks...

*************** Chëërs
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

kothoma

There a people inventing and registering new words no dictionary in any language or registration office in any country knows making millions selling them to the big players. These often are the beginning of one word back to back with the end of another. Twingo.

juansolo

Quote from: ThePastRecedes on July 27, 2013, 11:24:56 PMHow do you guys go around thinking of original names?

I want to think of a name that will be original to me, like a brand lets say. Any thing I think of that can be used is usually taken. Not necessarily by a pedal company but somebody on the internet.

I refuse to believe that Knob Goblin exists as a company name :)
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

kothoma

Quote from: juansolo on July 29, 2013, 05:45:27 PM
Quote from: ThePastRecedes on July 27, 2013, 11:24:56 PMHow do you guys go around thinking of original names?

I want to think of a name that will be original to me, like a brand lets say. Any thing I think of that can be used is usually taken. Not necessarily by a pedal company but somebody on the internet.

I refuse to believe that Knob Goblin exists as a company name :)

http://www.knobgoblin.net/aboutus.asp

ch1naski

That's got to be a link to a house of ill repute....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
one louder.

kothoma

Haha, I have no idea what they sell, but they seem to own the trademark.

jimilee

Quote from: kothoma on July 29, 2013, 06:29:40 PM
Haha, I have no idea what they sell, but they seem to own the trademark.
I'm afraid to go to the website!
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.