News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Veroboard

Started by alanp, August 11, 2013, 10:05:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alanp

What are the basics of working with vero (in a non-accountant fashion, where everything is on a grid with columns A-Z, rows 1-20, and every zingle component labelled akording to ze coordinates!)

How do you break the tracks, and how do you make sure you break them in the right places? The layouts are from the component side view, and not the track side, right?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

kothoma

I use a 3mm drill bit to break the tracks. Hold it between thumb and index finger and give it a few twists.
This works for cuts on holes. Never done cuts between holes but a knife should do.

The layouts are from the component side. Best you print a mirror image of the layout to transfer the cuts.
Make sure you count ahead how many cuts there are. Sometimes they are hidden behind component symbols.
Either make a list of them with coordinates or tack the mirror image prepared with little holes to the board and mark the places to cut on the board with a felt pen.

lincolnic

I'm not sure who I stole this from, as I've seen a few people do it, but before I do anything, I mark the component side with a Sharpie where the cuts will be. It gives me an easy visual reference to help make sure they're in the right place.

Definitely use a small drill bit to cut the traces by hand - it's really easy. Use your meter to check that there's no continuity on both sides of the cut when you're done.

davent

I mark the component side where all the track cuts are then drill those holes with a slightly larger bit. Finish up on the backside with a handheld 1/4" bit. I just copied this guide.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012/04/vero-build-guide.html

And more good info.

http://tagboardeffects.blogspot.ca/2012/09/vero-layout-guide.html

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

twin1965

I put a snipped-off component lead (or anything that fits) through the component side hole then mark the underside with a Sharpie. I count the spaces twice just to make sure.

I then cut the trace with a drill bit. All it takes is a few turns. Then a continuity test on all the tracks.

lincolnic

Last night I learned that if you make enough trace cuts with a drill bit, you not only get a piece of vero that's ready to solder, but also a giant blood blister on your thumb. Yeesh.

catfud

Quote from: lincolnic on August 16, 2013, 07:00:45 AM
Last night I learned that if you make enough trace cuts with a drill bit, you not only get a piece of vero that's ready to solder, but also a giant blood blister on your thumb. Yeesh.

For track cutting, ages ago I bought a stripboard cutter and I since forgot where I got it from. It's like a drill bit with a handle, like:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0071KZVV0

OTOH you could also make a handle for your drill bit.

jkokura

Quote from: catfud on August 25, 2013, 02:25:32 PM

Man, that reeks of DIY. What kind of place do you think this is!?!?! ;)

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

davent

Quote from: jkokura on August 26, 2013, 10:48:54 AM
Quote from: catfud on August 25, 2013, 02:25:32 PM

Man, that reeks of DIY. What kind of place do you think this is!?!?! ;)

Jacob

Great idea, got a nice piece of cocobolo that fits the bill, now for a drillbit.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?