News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

strange sunking prob

Started by t-rack, February 15, 2011, 02:15:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-rack

OK so i built a sinking with no subbed parts and was testing it outwith no switch or enclosure, sounded good but as if was lacking a little gain,no big deal i was gonna experiment with some diff. diodes. anyway i  wired in the switch put it in a box and now all its doing is acting like a clean boost! no gain whatsoever. and the gain pot makes it louder when at zero than full on. double checked the wiring  looks all good. any ideas as to where i should be looking?

Ang3lus

maybe a bad diode ?

check IC voltages and compare them to what you should get to make sure it's not a bad IC also.

that would be the two things i'd check first

jkokura

Have you seen the 'rules for getting help' thread? It might do you some good if you checked that out. Lots of good tips on getting things working.

It's a little bizarre of a problem, but you should be able to find it if you follow the debugging process.

My first thought is that you have a bad pot personally.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

t-rack

i went through the debug process, and finally found something! i had a solder bridge between my diode's but couldn't see it until i pulled out my magnifying glass. now a new problem started, when the gain is up all the way it sounds like a distorted tremolo pedal! very choppy helicopter like. i just cant win

jkokura

Go through the debugging process again! If you can't find the problem, share some pictures and power readings and we may be able to help you out.

An Audio Probe would probably be helpful too!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

t-rack

im using a probe, when i get to ic1 pin 5 is when it starts "also tried 3 different chips and get the same thing"

madbean

Can you please provide some voltages off the IC pins? That may help in tracking down the problem. If you can take a couple of pics of the board and how everything is wired, it might also help.