News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Clipping LED question

Started by ch1naski, October 15, 2013, 12:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ch1naski

So, i've not fiddled with any LED clipping schemes before. Is there a preferred color for clipping LEDs? I've seen diffused green, and heard some mention water-clears,  but does it matter much?

I know that what matters is forward voltage.
one louder.

croquet hoop

I think I've seen a lot of red LEDs too. But as usual, it may depend on the particular effect you're building. I remember that Bean states in the EgoDriver documentation that he had no luck with anything else than water clear red LEDs, for instance.

kothoma

Quote from: ch1naski on October 15, 2013, 12:44:38 AM
I know that what matters is forward voltage.

Right. And the shape of the knee where it starts forwarding.
But also capacitance. And whatnot (to a smaller degree).

RobA

So far, I've liked the diffused red 3mm LED's from Tayda pretty much everywhere I've tried them. I can't prove it, but I think the shape of the knee has more to do with the sound than the forward voltage. That depends on the circuit and what kind of clipping is being used too though. But, you can adjust the levels to match or play with the forward voltage whereas the shape is more dependent on the clipper itself.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

ch1naski

Shape of the knee.... Sounds like I'm gonna need some data sheets.

It is for the ego driver. I saw in a photo that the original had diffused green.

I reckon sockets may come in handy on this.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

one louder.

DutchMF

Just do what everybody does: if you like a clipping setup in one circuit, try it out in another! For instance, you like the mosfet clipping from the Egodriver? Put it in a Greenbean! Get a sh#tload of different LEDs, diodes and mosfets, socket the diode position on your favorite board and experiment. I swear, once you start, you cannot stop (nor will you reach the 'perfect' setup....  ;)) Same goes for opamps and trannies..... Too many options!!!!!!!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

ch1naski

Quote from: DutchMF on October 15, 2013, 06:08:47 PM
Just do what everybody does: if you like a clipping setup in one circuit, try it out in another! For instance, you like the mosfet clipping from the Egodriver? Put it in a Greenbean! Get a sh#tload of different LEDs, diodes and mosfets, socket the diode position on your favorite board and experiment. I swear, once you start, you cannot stop (nor will you reach the 'perfect' setup....  ;)) Same goes for opamps and trannies..... Too many options!!!!!!!

Paul
Good to know that I'll have yet another thing to obsess on.;D:o

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free

one louder.