News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Madbean Kingslayer

Started by micromegas, October 23, 2013, 07:23:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

micromegas

This is my first build done in a fabbed PCB (the previous ones were made on home-etched pcbs).
This build is very similar to the one Madbean did quite ago and tries to be some kind of 'homage' as this is the first time I used a PCB that I bought from him.

The enclosure came from ColesBD.
It is wired with buffered bypass and I have to rebuild the dpdt with Pattex in order to give it consistency (this thing melts really quick!!).

Hard-clippers are OA126 that I got from Cromesphere (I prefer these to the 1N34A).
Soft-clippers are a pair of OA126 and two 1n60. I tried a pair of 3mm diffused red leds, but they make that "paper distortion" sound that I don't like at all.

I reduce R11 to 560k and it sounds pretty creamy and nice.

This is a really great design!!

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Tremster

That is one good looking pedal.

micromegas

Thankyou man, I plan to record a demo in a few days. I went to youtube searching for some demos of this pedal and there are only a few (it deserves more :)).

pickdropper

Quote from: Tremster on October 24, 2013, 08:00:25 AM
That is one good looking pedal.

Totally agree.  It looks great.  Dig the knobs on that one, too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Diamond

Excellent clean build. I like that. You say you prefer OA126's to 1N34a's. Why? What's the sound difference?

selfdestroyer

The knobs looks great on this pedal. Very cool build.

micromegas

Thank you guys.
Diamond, the OA126 reduced the fizziness of the sound in a good manner. The sound is fatter and smoother to me.

As said by midwayfair, OA126 clips at ~.65v and the forward voltage drop of 1n34A is said to be ~.3v, probably it has something to do with it.

But in the end, changing R11 to 560K makes the real difference in sound.

micromegas

@Diamond, there's an open thread in the forum right know about 1N34A and mr Midwayfair is highlighting some points about these diodes.

Mine aren't the vintage ones at all, so maybe there's a difference.

hoodoo

Very nice build mate, those colesbd boxes don't need anything in the way of graphics and such, look great as they are. I've got to ask, do you think you'll ever etch again after using a fabbed board  ;) i know i didn't.

micromegas

Quote from: hoodoo on October 24, 2013, 10:59:39 PM
Very nice build mate, those colesbd boxes don't need anything in the way of graphics and such, look great as they are. I've got to ask, do you think you'll ever etch again after using a fabbed board  ;) i know i didn't.

I'll only etch again if necessary. I'm preparing some projects with Eagle and, after seen the cuality to price ratio Oshpark offers (plus the free worlwide shipping) I think I'm going to try.

Diamond

Quote from: micromegas on October 24, 2013, 10:12:02 PM
@Diamond, there's an open thread in the forum right know about 1N34A and mr Midwayfair is highlighting some points about these diodes.

Thanks, I'll go check it out!

The reason I asked is because in my personal experiment between 1N270, 1N277, 1N60 and 1N34a the 34a's came out as the winner. They sounded best 'balanced' frequency wise in my vero Klone. But I guess from your response that could have been other '1N34a' diodes. I have big glass ones with green stripes.

micromegas

Quote from: Diamond on October 25, 2013, 08:57:51 AM
Quote from: micromegas on October 24, 2013, 10:12:02 PM

Thanks, I'll go check it out!

The reason I asked is because in my personal experiment between 1N270, 1N277, 1N60 and 1N34a the 34a's came out as the winner. They sounded best 'balanced' frequency wise in my vero Klone. But I guess from your response that could have been other '1N34a' diodes. I have big glass ones with green stripes.

You may also want to take a look at this: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=5399.0