News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

11.01 - Function F(x) Fundraiser Announcement

Started by madbean, November 01, 2013, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DutchMF

Here's one I used with good results.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

madbean

One more day for the Fundraiser. We have raised 90% of our goal thus far! W00t!

rullywowr

Quote from: madbean on November 30, 2013, 09:08:37 AM
One more day for the Fundraiser. We have raised 90% of our goal thus far! W00t!
So happy for you guys. Plus it means more mind blowing great toan projects will drop soon for all of us!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

selfdestroyer

I am glad I made the deadline. I really wanted to help but had no money, finally socked away some for the packet. Thanks again guys and I hope you achieve your goal with Function F(x).

jimilee

Over at byoc, there is a group but de the smt parts going on if no one has mentioned it already.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

muddyfox

link, please?
i'm having a hard time navigating nyoc board on my phone...

jimilee

Its in this thread, there isn't a separate thread for it unfortunately. Look in the last 2 pages, there is a google docs sign up.
http://byocelectronics.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=46874
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

catfud

I just signed up to byoc to do this. Mouser shipping, bah!

slacker775

I mousered my smt bits but am short a few resistors.  I've ordered an eBay resistor kit which ought to get me to completion.  I'm excited to try it out.   So far, smt hasn't been quite as bad as I thought.  I think I have the components soldered decently.  Definitely wouldn't recommend it for a first build though.

catfud

Chinese ebay sellers sell most of the parts in kits, but some are more difficult to find though, like the 22uf and 47uf caps (at least that's what I found)

Big kudos to fn f(x) though for including the 47uf caps for us non-US types - thanks guys :)

alanp

My only foray into SMD was a board I designed, a SMD big muff with through-hole electro, diodes, and transistors. It was pretty much a failure, since everything was crammed too tightly (including via's about a mil away from smd pads.)

So I am actually looking forward to working on one of PD's boards. I've been using my crap smd muff boards as practice mules for technique :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

Quote from: alanp on November 30, 2013, 05:47:41 PM
My only foray into SMD was a board I designed, a SMD big muff with through-hole electro, diodes, and transistors. It was pretty much a failure, since everything was crammed too tightly (including via's about a mil away from smd pads.)

So I am actually looking forward to working on one of PD's boards. I've been using my crap smd muff boards as practice mules for technique :)

Using bad boards to practice is a fantastic idea.

Another good source of practice boards is an old, dead video card (or other computer peripheral).  Those make great sacrificial lambs.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

rullywowr

Pickdropper has a great idea about practicing on dead electronic smd PCBs. You can use a heat gun (in a well ventilated area) on old boards to get the smd components off and then practice putting some back on. As long as you have flux, tweezers, and a decent iron you are ready to give it a shot.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jimilee

Quote from: rullywowr on November 30, 2013, 06:30:12 PM
Pickdropper has a great idea about practicing on dead electronic smd PCBs. You can use a heat gun (in a well ventilated area) on old boards to get the smd components off and then practice putting some back on. As long as you have flux, tweezers, and a decent iron you are ready to give it a shot.
just from looking at how small the board is, I may have to get a second set of glasses to wear with the first pair! Yaaay old eyes.

pickdropper

Quote from: jimilee on November 30, 2013, 06:46:48 PM

Quote from: rullywowr on November 30, 2013, 06:30:12 PM
just from looking at how small the board is, I may have to get a second set of glasses to wear with the first pair! Yaaay old eyes.

Jimi (and everybody else),

These are actually pretty helpful and they are cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Jewelers-Lighted-Magnifier-Visor/dp/B005VIG6TA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1385867709&sr=8-1&keywords=magnified+glasses

I use them for surface mount parts when I don't feel like taking out the microscope.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper