News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

11.01 - Function F(x) Fundraiser Announcement

Started by madbean, November 01, 2013, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

Quote from: jubal81 on May 09, 2015, 11:35:07 AM
I'm seriously blown away with the engineering here. Shame 99% of people won't understand how well made it really is.

Thanks Jason, we certainly are aiming high, so we appreciate it when it's noticed.

What you see in the gutshot is a contribution from the entire team, but the our lesser-known member Jerry has been particularly important.  Jerry is the only non-guitar player in the group, but he has the most professional board layout experience.  I learned most of my PCB layout tricks from him and it's really only a small fraction of what he knows.  He's also got a background in designing PICS (the architecture of them, not just using them for designs) which has also helped out a lot. 
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

Boys, save your pennies! I just got finished testing our prototype dual overdrive (after changing out a couple part values). Man, it's awesome!
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

playpunk

Sweet! I think I might have to buy a pedal or two....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"my legend grows" - playpunk

culturejam

Premier Guitar just sent out an email. And our pedal is sitting next to Faith No More!!!  ;D :o 8)

jubal81

Quote from: culturejam on May 09, 2015, 06:23:10 PM
Premier Guitar just sent out an email. And our pedal is sitting next to Faith No More!!!  ;D :o 8)

Not only that, but you got the coveted "magic circus pony!" designation...
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Since it was already posted on Facebook, might as well share it here. Early build of the new overdrive.

m-Kresol

Looking good!
is there a particular reason why you used SMD resistors but through hole caps?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: m-Kresol on May 12, 2015, 10:55:03 AM
Looking good!

There are SMD caps too...

pickdropper

Looking good!

Space considerations.  We couldn't fit it all in with through-hole parts.  We had enough room for film caps in the signal path so that's what we did.  There are SMT ceramic caps for the sections outside of the direct audio path.

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

culturejam

People seem to have the most problem with caps being surface mount. So we made them bigger in order to let the mojo flow better.  ;D

irmcdermott

jubal81

Quote from: pickdropper on May 12, 2015, 11:03:22 AM

Looking good!

Space considerations.  We couldn't fit it all in with through-hole parts.  We had enough room for film caps in the signal path so that's what we did.  There are SMT ceramic caps for the sections outside of the direct audio path.

Always keeping it classy ....

Third rail is nicely symmetrical. Same effect on both sides?
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

culturejam

Quote from: jubal81 on May 12, 2015, 11:31:26 AM
Third rail is nicely symmetrical. Same effect on both sides?

Forgive my parlance, as I've spent the last two weeks searching through contracts and service agreements...

The two sides are "substantially similar".  ;D

micromegas

PTC is smt in this one :)
I think I already said this on facebook, but this layout is a fine piece of art. You should start considering the use of plexi transparent backplates
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

jubal81

OK dammit, I can't help it - I have to sleuth.

Those TO-92 can't be JFETs. Each side has two pairs of clipping diodes. We in the Muff family here?
- David Fair