News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

how to finish a pedal?

Started by morelius21, February 23, 2011, 01:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

morelius21

Hi,

I make clons but i have always the same problem: how should i make the final layer of the colouring?
i have used matt lacquer spray (3 layers) but this sistem ist not shock-resistent. Now I use a wood varnish for exterior, which is more resistent but it has Polyurethane and is very glossy. this isn't bad but i want to know which products you use?

Thanks

Morelius

night-B

You can use acrylic or car paint in spray can. Don't mix different type of paint and clear, even mixing brands can be hasardous to the finish... I had good experiences with hobby brands like Tamitya, Humbrol, Testors!
I generally make 8 to 9 thin coat of clear, with 12 hours between them, then I let the enclosure dry for 2 days before boxing the components.
I you want your finish to be glossy and hard as a tank you should try pouring epoxy resin on your dried paint

morelius21

ok!

I will intend with the epoxy and i will see the results. Thank for your help!!!!

Morelius

night-B

I haven't tried the epoxy yet but i've seen great results on forums. See the epoxy resin thread I started on MBP forum for some links. I ordered my resin on ebay and I'll sure use it soon!
It appears that a lot of people are getting great results with the Krylon clear, applied in several light coats. I cannot find this brand in my country...

morelius21

i'm seeing the krylon and i think it is a super option because you can find it as spray. It is posible that you can buy this product in amazon or ebay. when you use the epoxy, would be nice if you told me any results.

Thanks for the information,

Morelius

Mike @ Rawkworks

Just be VERY careful not to put too much Krylon clear coat on. It can and will completely destroy a finish. Tons of light light light coats is the way. I'm gonna try epoxy resin next, I can't stand painting for hours and putting decals on then have the whole thing go to hell in a hand basket because I sprayed for a little too long.
Mike
mike@rawkworks.com