News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

Whomever invented the idea of the "group text message" needs to be locked in a room for 24 hours with about 100 cellphones all dinging and vibrating non-stop for the entire time.
Why can't anybody figure out the concept of "reply to sender" only? We don't need 30 texts in a 10 second period of everybody just replying to everybody in the group text..."sounds good"..."ok"..."yeah". DING DING DING VIBRATE VIBRATE VIBRATE.
Is the world ending?! Something must be terribly wrong! No, it was just everybody "replying to all" in a group text. I can't use my phone right now...I'm receiving 40 texts that all say, "got it".
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

alanp

With some news sites, some articles have a comments section, other articles do not. It's always interesting to see which articles do not.

My more cynical side reckons that articles that the Media do not want you to question, Pravda style, are the ones that don't have comment sections.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

somnif

Quote from: lars on March 15, 2020, 03:53:14 PM
Whomever invented the idea of the "group text message" needs to be locked in a room for 24 hours with about 100 cellphones all dinging and vibrating non-stop for the entire time.
Why can't anybody figure out the concept of "reply to sender" only? We don't need 30 texts in a 10 second period of everybody just replying to everybody in the group text..."sounds good"..."ok"..."yeah". DING DING DING VIBRATE VIBRATE VIBRATE.
Is the world ending?! Something must be terribly wrong! No, it was just everybody "replying to all" in a group text. I can't use my phone right now...I'm receiving 40 texts that all say, "got it".

Yeah, my mom has been working from home the past couple weeks, and her supervisors have been trying to communicate the set up procedures via Skype-like app. Only thing is, my mom doesn't have a smart phone. And whatever manner of app it was, it's built with "reply all" on by default.

So she just keeps getting "data received at 5:42 am" type texts, constantly. Any time someone replies, she gets a blank message. Her phone has been vibrating essentially non-stop during work hours all week. It's maddening, and I can't exactly help her from a hundred miles away.

thesmokingman

I feel this way about Slack ... whoever decided that what's essentially IRC chat for workplace millennials was a business productivity app should be hanged in the public square
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

Muadzin

Quote from: dawson on March 15, 2020, 02:43:37 PM
What on Earth?

I saw the odd-looking sarcophagus-style pedals and decided to dig a bit deeper into what this brand is/was doing..apparently making space-helmet and monster face-shaped TS-clones, and guitars out of magnesium for reasons unknown.

I'm not too savvy with chemistry- have any of you wizards out there got any idea why magnesium might be a desirable tonewood?

Tonewood is bunk anyway. Anyone who tries to sell you an electric guitar based on tonewood qualities is selling you snake oil. I reckon they went for magnesium as I suspect its as light weight as aluminium, but maybe it doesn't detune as easily as aluminium depending on temperature. A friend of mine has a Kramer guitar with aluminium neck and that thing detunes just by looking at it.

Quote from: lars on March 15, 2020, 03:53:14 PM

Ah well, this is why my phone is always on silent mode. Occasionally I might miss a call, but I'm never the one who has to leave a meeting in embaressment as his phone goes off mid meeting. Even though it does have the coolest ringtone. The intro of Hostage to Heaven by Grip Inc.  8)

[yt]cFhLKv8EgCM[/yt]

midwayfair

Quote from: thesmokingman on April 01, 2020, 03:31:03 PM
I feel this way about Slack ... whoever decided that what's essentially IRC chat for workplace millennials was a business productivity app should be hanged in the public square

It's the primary communication for my team at work (and was for my research group in college also). The phone call system is great because it lets you draw on someone's screen share.

Maybe the people you're working with suck, not the tools they're using.

rockola

Quote from: Muadzin on April 02, 2020, 12:29:09 PM
my phone ... does have the coolest ringtone. The intro of Hostage to Heaven by Grip Inc.  8)
That does have a ringtone quality to it - "PICK UP THE PHONE NOW!"

Mine is the first 8 seconds of this.
[youtube width=300]HcOo-CfSee0[/youtube]

When my mom calls, it's this.
[youtube width=300]2A9RvEzCYoc[/youtube]

When my wife (who is a teacher) calls, it's the chorus of this.
[youtube width=300]6M4_Ommfvv0[/youtube]

alanp

Just found out that NAMM stands for "National Association of Music Merchants".

All this time, I've thought it stood for "North America MusikMesse".
- Terry Pratchett
My website

jimilee

Quote from: rockola on April 02, 2020, 11:27:05 PM
Quote from: Muadzin on April 02, 2020, 12:29:09 PM
my phone ... does have the coolest ringtone. The intro of Hostage to Heaven by Grip Inc.  8)
That does have a ringtone quality to it - "PICK UP THE PHONE NOW!"

Mine is the first 8 seconds of this.
[youtube width=300]HcOo-CfSee0[/youtube]

When my mom calls, it's this.
[youtube width=300]2A9RvEzCYoc[/youtube]

When my wife (who is a teacher) calls, it's the chorus of this.
[youtube width=300]6M4_Ommfvv0[/youtube]
I will preface with this: I am hard of hearing from too many years of Rock and Roll bands I've played in. I wear hearing aids, and my hearing is directional. If you're not looking at me, you basically don't exist. My ringtone is the loudest most obnoxious bit of music I could find.

[youtube width=300]5IzEncyqfgw[/youtube]
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I have no idea how it does it, but Rocksmith can make my TV Jones Filtertron pickupped cabronita tele sound like my Wilkinson PAF pickupped Vintage-brand Les Paul.

Witchcraft!
- Terry Pratchett
My website

Willybomb

QuoteI have no idea how it does it, but Rocksmith can make my TV Jones Filtertron pickupped cabronita tele sound like my Wilkinson PAF pickupped Vintage-brand Les Paul.

How do you feel about the RS team ceasing to do any more DLC after the Opeth one?  The crybabies are going nuts.  I mean, 6 years of weekly DLC of 3 or more songs and they're upset that the RS team are going to work on something new...

Hoping they bring back proper arenas, reactive crowd, and a career mode.

alanp

- Terry Pratchett
My website

juansolo

My work phone ringtone used to be the opening to this at max volume.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

cooder

On a different note, quite enjoying the ramblings, insights and teachings of Tom Bukovac sheltering in his garage in Nashville.
Cool dude and great player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGc5uyZRz-c
BigNoise Amplification

alanp

I'm guessing that some people have been spending their lockdown time wisely.

Wow. Just... wow.
- Terry Pratchett
My website