News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Just Saying -- the soapbox thread

Started by alanp, November 30, 2013, 07:30:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Quote from: gordo on November 12, 2021, 04:57:50 PM
I've had an XM account forever but I'm finding that even they don't mix it up enough.  I like Jim Ladd's show but that's about it.  Pandora is free and should be because it's got an even MORE limited scope.  I had a Pandora subscription but cancelled during covid because I mostly listen in the car on my commute.  No commute=no subscription.  I'm finally throwing in the towel on my XM subscription as well.

I balk at the price of most concert tix these days so maybe I've officially hit old age.  The wife and I hit a show with her buddy and I found out the tix were $160 to see Kevin Costner's band.  And he sounds like if Kevin Costner had a band.  Good band and it was disturbing to watch age 50+ women get all greasy but was pretty much a good bar band with a no name front man.

At the end of the show he plays a recording of Bruce Cockburn's "Last Night of the World" (worth Googling...he's a hero of mine) and wanders around the stage toasting everyone with a bottle of Dom.  Very weird.

Yeah, that sounds strange.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

HA!

So, my 19" 4:3 LCD monitor died a few weeks ago. I since discovered that 19" 4:3 LCD monitors are a pain to get these days (in NZ, at least.) Anything else doesn't fit in the available desk space between the 29" monitor, and the computer itself.

I could see the screen flickering, as if the poor little PSU was trying to do SOMETHING. So my inner suspicion was that one of the power supply capacitors was toast.

I finally got around to carefully pulling it open, and yes indeed the PSU board had two bulging-top electrolytic caps. They were 1000uF 16V... while I don't have that in my stash, or any 1000uF caps that would FIT in the space available, they were in parallel for 2000uF, and I did have some 2200uF caps, one of which would fit. So, rip 'em out, tidy up one pair of holes and stick the new cap in...

IT'S ALIVE!

Good thing, too. You get used to three monitors :)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Nice, nice job man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

midwayfair

Quote from: alanp on November 26, 2021, 06:49:50 PM

Everyone at work thinks I'm weird and/or crazy for sticking with my laptop monitor alone. I keep telling them I don't want to get used to two screens. I mean, the other reason is that I don't have anywhere on my desk at home to put it, but that's beside the point.

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on November 26, 2021, 08:24:28 PM

Everyone at work thinks I'm weird and/or crazy for sticking with my laptop monitor alone. I keep telling them I don't want to get used to two screens. I mean, the other reason is that I don't have anywhere on my desk at home to put it, but that's beside the point.
Laptop is the one I use just about all the time, and it's a smaller MacBook Pro. I have a 24" screen in my office on a max mini, but I hardly use that one, unless I'm building, then, that's about all I use it for.

Muadzin

I LOVE a multiple screen setup. I have them at work and now at home too. Ideal to run youtube on one screen and do some work or forum stuff on another. I'd have a three screen setup if I could. They're also ideal for online zoom fitness, to have the instructor big on one screen and gallery view of the participants on another. So you at least feel part of a group and not alone in your living room.

dan.schumaker

Quote from: midwayfair on November 26, 2021, 08:24:28 PM

I'm the same way at work to.  I ran just my laptop screen for about 10 years.  They just upgraded me to a new laptop at work with a super small screen.  I think I'm going to have to update to a dual screen or bigger screen monitor...

thesmokingman

I've been working multiple-monitor jobs for quite some time now and have yet to have a matching set of monitors ... I don't know how it happens but I know it should stop.
once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX

matmosphere

When I was in school we had a dual screen setup in the math lab. You could rotate the screens to be vertical. I found it the best possible setup. Split the available space well and required less desk space. Plus websites and coding both generally work better oriented that way, you can have more on the room at one time with less dead space.

LFlab

I have dual 24" monitors both at work and my main workplace at home (the lab/home office). But we also have an office downstairs, two desks, and I have a 28" monitor on that desk, can't imagine going dual with 28"s because that would require a lot of head movement I think.

LFlab

Quite often, I have two presentations open, one which is the one I need to build, and then others from which I copy slides. Also reviewing documents, I often have my mind mapping program open to take notes (Mindjet Mindmanager is great), or have my notes open when writing a document. Or two drawings to compare dimensions and see if things will fit. Or in the case of a CAD layout, the schematic and layout in different screens. it really is wonderful, and you can always minimise everything on the second screen to have the tasteful desktop background showing.

alanp

I've been watching Linus Tech Tips for the last couple days, and a few things sprang out at me.

Firstly, flippin' heck I am out of date. I have no idea what the latest hawtness is anymore. These M2 SSD things are completely new to me.

Secondly, I hate the idea of RGB fans and RGB RAM. My favourite case I ever had was a Lian Li PC60. I like clean, elegant lines... not lit up like a baboon's bottom after the poor monkey did some bad LSD.

Thirdly... what happened to 5.25" and 3.5" drive bays? None of the cases that the LTT videos show have any!

Also, to update on my fileserver... I'm replacing all the little drives (1TB, 1.5TB and 3TB) with a single 8TB drive, so it will end up with just three massive drives instead of half a dozen scrappy little ones.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jimilee

Why do people think they're the ones that's gonna Kill John Wick??? He killer 4 guys in a bar with a pencil, don't they know they're just gonna die???

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: gordo on November 12, 2021, 04:57:50 PM
I balk at the price of most concert tix these days so maybe I've officially hit old age. 

Sadly, I do not do big concerts anymore. This is mainly due to the change in getting tickets to them. Endlessly getting "Early Notices", "VIP Access", etc. and only to find that once you actually do get into the system, most of the good tickets are gone or sold out. Businesses like Ticketmaster doing contracted sales to 3rd party vendors (Stubhub, etc.) before anyone can get them has killed the concert-going experience. The day they stopped letting people get in line at venues for tickets and made it a cash-grab online operation was the day it was all over. Getting tickets today is akin to participating in a horrible Ebay auction where your pulse is pounding and you are constantly clicking or mashing buttons to try to get a $60 face value lawn seat ticket for $300!