News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking treble sounds a bit harsh/brittle.

Started by rhcp311, February 27, 2011, 08:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

Quote from: Liam on May 18, 2011, 04:31:53 PM
I'll preface this with the friend in common being EB from Juno.  Diamond geezer of the first water, and he pieced it together straight away when I mentioned you.  The world is amazingly small.  Used to share an office with him at work, but he's in the next one along now (when he's not at Juno, which does tend to be the case).  I've got a few mates work there, and a few more that used to.

Next thing...  Got any 8n2 caps left?  It would save me a USA order.  I know that makes me a bit cheeky, but I'm quite intrigued to try a few more in a Sunking.  I thought I'd heard every sort of overdrive pedal there was, but at gig volume the Sunkings (and I'm guessing Centaurs) have got something really interesting going for them.  I've built 4 of them now, but I keep lending them out in a sort of "convert" sort of fashion.  Thought I'd heard it all...  Hadn't.

Liam

Small world! I'm not sure I've ever spoken to Ewan face to face but we have on the phone and via e-mail. It's just a shame that this year due to holiday and work commitments we can't use the car more (though we'll still be managing Spa, Zandvoort, Silverstone & Croft in it).

Sorry about the 8n2s I've got one left and it's earmarked for the Sunking I've halfway through populating :( Need to order more myself. Tayda are cool though and the delivery is reasonable.

Likewise with the sunkiing. A mate fancied one, wasn't interested myself and thought that no pedal could live up to the hype that the Centaur receives. Built it, loved it. The second was for a guy with a real one who wanted to get it off his pedal board for fear of it being nicked. It was him who spotted that the tone wasn't quite right compared to his first edition one. It's not far out by any means, but a little. Swapping that cap made it so close it's nigh on indistinguishable. FWIW though, a 10n sounds pretty bloody good also. Gives it a fraction more bottom, but it's not a bad thing. Without back-to-backing them, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference. Not sure I can be arsed to change mine from the standard one to be fair. As I say, the difference isn't that massive. It's there, but it's really not as big as is made out.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Liam

Spa in a Juno has got to be a hoot.  Have you seen the Youtube footage from the last round there?  Very exciting.  Ewan remembered you straight away and spoke very highly of you, so he's definitely remembered a conversation somewhere along the line.

My first couple of Sunking builds have 3n3 in for a tone cap, as I was struggling to find any 3n9.  I quite like them like that - might even put a switch on my own one as the clarity is really useful.  The last couple of builds have been held up by the lack of a Cleggy, followed by quite a bit of rubbing down and starting again.  Bet I've spent more on Rover Cashmere Gold than I did on the boards, but I'm getting there.  Just finished assembling one with 6n8 in it, and I'll give it a blast in the morning.

Liam

juansolo

Quote from: Liam on May 19, 2011, 06:37:16 PM
Spa in a Juno has got to be a hoot.  Have you seen the Youtube footage from the last round there?  Very exciting.  Ewan remembered you straight away and spoke very highly of you, so he's definitely remembered a conversation somewhere along the line.

My first couple of Sunking builds have 3n3 in for a tone cap, as I was struggling to find any 3n9.  I quite like them like that - might even put a switch on my own one as the clarity is really useful.  The last couple of builds have been held up by the lack of a Cleggy, followed by quite a bit of rubbing down and starting again.  Bet I've spent more on Rover Cashmere Gold than I did on the boards, but I'm getting there.  Just finished assembling one with 6n8 in it, and I'll give it a blast in the morning.

Liam

Spa in the Juno is indeed automotive nirvana. It's not to say we couldn't go quicker (Colin, who I co-own the car with does anyway), the vid on this page has me lifting for Blancimont and Eau Rouge, which in the Juno you don't need to, and generally braking well early. Mainly because it's a trackday and going balls out all the time simply isn't necessary. Plus the speed differential between the Juno and just about every other car out there is vast anyway. Saying that, a bit more bravery this year hopefully (and the camera should be much more securely mounted)... We shall see. It'll be a sad day when we have to sell that one. It is just a magnificent machine.

Oh god painting. I tried, a couple of times. Similar results. It looks so easy, yet my results are always utter crap. there is some sort of voodoo involved I'm sure of it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk