News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking treble sounds a bit harsh/brittle.

Started by rhcp311, February 28, 2011, 04:13:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

dap9

B_of_H

just to make sure: you got the memo about the error on the original board/instructions right?

(just noticed you said you were using the v1 board)

dap9

Thanks for catching that...  But, I did get my previous v1 build (thanks to madbean himself) wired up properly.  The build I'm talking about here is the most recent.  Thanks, though!  I like how DIY folks look out for each other.

Quote from: B_of_H on March 08, 2011, 11:28:01 PM
just to make sure: you got the memo about the error on the original board/instructions right?

(just noticed you said you were using the v1 board)

sgmezei

Hey folks I built mine as true bypass. Can anyone enlighten me as to why I should try the original way?
From what I understand it would be to buffer the line through multiple pedals?

Thanks team. If anyone has built both versions pipe up!

sgmezei

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm also curious as to why. Isn't this implementing a buffered relay system?

juansolo

Interesting day. Fella I built a Sunking for brought his Centaur over so we could compare and contrast. We threw quite a few caps at it and ended up settling on a 8n2. It near as damnit hits the nail on the head. Certainly to the point where I was struggling to tell which on was running when back-to-backing them.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Liam

So I can stop looking out for 3n9 film caps?  Thanks for that - I'd been subbing 3n3s without thinking very much about going the other way.  Did you try going bigger?  How was it?

Liam

juansolo

Quote from: Liam on May 08, 2011, 07:58:47 PM
So I can stop looking out for 3n9 film caps?  Thanks for that - I'd been subbing 3n3s without thinking very much about going the other way.  Did you try going bigger?  How was it?

Liam

I socketed it so I went way bigger ;-)

8n2 nailed the gold horsey. But I think I prefer going even slightly further with a 10n. 15n was about as far as you could go and it still sound really good, beyond that it could get flubby.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: juansolo on May 08, 2011, 07:47:42 PM
Interesting day. Fella I built a Sunking for brought his Centaur over so we could compare and contrast. We threw quite a few caps at it and ended up settling on a 8n2. It near as damnit hits the nail on the head. Certainly to the point where I was struggling to tell which on was running when back-to-backing them.

I remember a guy a few months back did the same experiment that you did and ended up with the same results. I'm pretty sure he settled on a 8.2n!

Liam

Quote from: juansolo on May 09, 2011, 05:47:09 AM

8n2 nailed the gold horsey. But I think I prefer going even slightly further with a 10n. 15n was about as far as you could go and it still sound really good, beyond that it could get flubby.

Thanks for the advice Juansolo, will be trying a few caps on Thursday.  Were your ears burning this afternoon?  Turns out we've got a friend in common.  Where are you getting 8n2s from - I've struggled!

Liam

juansolo

Quote from: Liam on May 17, 2011, 09:33:42 PM
Quote from: juansolo on May 09, 2011, 05:47:09 AM

Thanks for the advice Juansolo, will be trying a few caps on Thursday.  Were your ears burning this afternoon?  Turns out we've got a friend in common.  Where are you getting 8n2s from - I've struggled!

Liam

:-o

The 8n2 would have come from one Farnell or Rapid I'd have thought. We had them in the stash so couldn't be sure which.

juansolo

They came from Tayda, not for the Sunking, but ages ago for a Hot Silicon.

Liam

I'll preface this with the friend in common being EB from Juno.  Diamond geezer of the first water, and he pieced it together straight away when I mentioned you.  The world is amazingly small.  Used to share an office with him at work, but he's in the next one along now (when he's not at Juno, which does tend to be the case).  I've got a few mates work there, and a few more that used to.

Next thing...  Got any 8n2 caps left?  It would save me a USA order.  I know that makes me a bit cheeky, but I'm quite intrigued to try a few more in a Sunking.  I thought I'd heard every sort of overdrive pedal there was, but at gig volume the Sunkings (and I'm guessing Centaurs) have got something really interesting going for them.  I've built 4 of them now, but I keep lending them out in a sort of "convert" sort of fashion.  Thought I'd heard it all...  Hadn't.

Liam