News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harmonic Percolator

Started by Stomptown, December 09, 2013, 06:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stomptown

Here is my finished harmonic percolator. I really like the germanium diode clipping in this one. Definitely a unique fuzz. I was going to etch the faceplate but I like the way it looks as is with the toner transferred from PnP blue. It seems pretty durable too! If anyone is interested in one of the pcb's let me know!

selfdestroyer

Please tell me that paint job came from a rattle can, I want it!

Ia m not a fan of those knobs but with that face plate it looks perfect. Great job.

Stomptown

Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 09, 2013, 07:24:38 PM

Ia m not a fan of those knobs but with that face plate it looks perfect. Great job.

Unfortunately, it's not out of a rattle can! It's a gloss black/cherry topcoat enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus. It looks nothing like the picture on the website but that's a good thing; it looks better.  ;D

Thanks for the kink words as well! Those are some of my favorite knobs for some reason (other than the fancy/expensive aluminum ones).

jimilee

Very nicely executed sir! I am a fan of your work.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Stomptown on December 09, 2013, 07:48:28 PM
Quote from: selfdestroyer on December 09, 2013, 07:24:38 PM

Unfortunately, it's not out of a rattle can! It's a gloss black/cherry topcoat enclosure from Pedal Parts Plus. It looks nothing like the picture on the website but that's a good thing; it looks better.  ;D

Thanks for the kink words as well! Those are some of my favorite knobs for some reason (other than the fancy/expensive aluminum ones).

I will definitely check em out. Thanks

lincolnic

Your builds just keep getting better...looks great.

Bret608

I definitely like that color better on your build than on their site! Almost thought it was purple starlight.

Let me vouch for these boards--I did the "stock" specs on one of them and it sounds great. This build here looks to be an Albini version judging by the resistor values. Comparing Albini to stock is quite interesting by the way. Both sound awesome but they're pretty different.

Stomptown

Quote from: Bret608 on December 10, 2013, 11:16:04 AM
Let me vouch for these boards--I did the "stock" specs on one of them and it sounds great. This build here looks to be an Albini version judging by the resistor values. Comparing Albini to stock is quite interesting by the way. Both sound awesome but they're pretty different.

Can you describe tge differences? I'm interested in building a stock  version and would love to hear more...

Bret608

No problem!

I think the stock specs are a bit brighter tone-wise and offer more gain than the Albini. To me, it's more a full-on fuzz whereas the Albini is this off-kilter fuzzy overdrive/distortion sound. With the stock I can get smooth, MkII-like sustain on single notes and the volume knob cleanup is excellent. The subtle octave stuff going on as you play up the neck is very tasteful. The "diodes off" setting makes more sense with these specs, but I can't hear the differences between germanium and silicon diodes as clearly as I can with the Albini.

So it's definitely worth a build. Full disclosure--I used tantalums for the 47uf and 1uf caps, and this may make a difference in the results. I guess the Albini still has the edge for me, but this version is on my must-box list for the new year. You could have both on your board and not have them doing double-duty due to the different sounds you can get.

claytushaywood

Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I'm looking for some shared experience.  I built the percolator from a layout at tagboard effects and I'm getting some weird results.  First i can tell a huge difference between diodes in and out (not the problem, just something i saw above someone said they couldnt tell a big difference)  anyways, the pedal sounds killer.  but with the diodes switched in the circuit i'm getting this weird static'y noise that only occurs between noon and like 3 o clock on my "harmonics" pot.  with the dioes out i dont get this static'y stuff.  I"ve quadruple checked everything, changed out diodes, etc etc.  But I cant figure it out.  My first thought would be the transistor, but since it sounds fine with the diodes out of teh circuit I dont think it is the transistor. 

anyone else notice this noise?  Its not standard "oh its a fuzz" noise.  if not, could the transistor be the culprit when its just a problem with diodes in the circuit?

Thanks a bunch!

here's the layout

midwayfair

Quote from: claytushaywood on October 09, 2014, 12:56:38 PM
Sorry for bringing up an old topic but I'm looking for some shared experience.

You will get more traction if you start a separate topic in the tech help section.

maxiclick

Stomptown

They are currently out of stock but I will be reordering very soon.  I will hit you up when they come in.

dont-tase-me-bro

Dumb question - on the 3pdt board, how come both sets of power holes are used? 

I just got my first package of stomptown 3pdt boards last week - they're great, and pretty small too
I thought this would save me money.

Stomptown

Quote from: dont-tase-me-bro on November 20, 2014, 03:52:06 PM
Dumb question - on the 3pdt board, how come both sets of power holes are used? 

I just got my first package of stomptown 3pdt boards last week - they're great, and pretty small too

If I remember correctly, I accidentally got solder on the extra power pad so I just added solder to the gnd as well so it looked better.   ::)