News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Carbon Copy Issues

Started by flanagan0718, December 12, 2013, 09:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flanagan0718

Hey guys,
     I was wondering if anyone had a couple things. First I need a schematic for the MXR Carbon Copy. My old guitarist gave me his broken one to mess around with and fix. There are a few issues with it. C46 is gone, ripped out, and i need to find what the value is and what it connects to. One of the pots is gone too. The pads are ripped out. So value and connection are needed for that as well. I'll post a couple of pictures when i get home. Thanks in advance guys.

Govmnt_Lacky

Well... according to the googled pic:

C46 is a 1uF/50V SMT electro.

flanagan0718

Awesome! Thanks dude. This helps quite a bit.  :)

alanp

Say, Bean was looking for etching projects... ;) Man that looks packed!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

Quote from: alanp on December 13, 2013, 04:22:05 AM
Say, Bean was looking for etching projects... ;) Man that looks packed!

Funny you say that, when I first got into this hobby I took all my pedals and thought that I would start by contributing. I opened a few of them and took detailed pictures and put them up on FSB. When I got to my Carbon Copy I opened it and said "never mind" and closed it back up. It actually scared me a bit since in my head my Carbon Copy was "the best" delay and I thought if it sounds this good and its this difficult to make then forget this hobby. Then I discovered 1776 Effects and all is history. lol

alexradium

Repairing this is a nightmare,I did one that was ripped by previous owner who thought was good to mess with those smd components.
Looking at all that circuit to produce a mild muffled repeat with a bit of modulation on top,IMO you can get any good digital delay and add low pass filter and mod circuit on delay signal and you'll be perfectly happy with more money in your pocket.

Inviato dal mio Nexus 7 utilizzando Tapatalk

gtr2

You can just call Dunlop.  That's where I got a replacement pot for mine as it's a bit different than what we normally use.  If I remember I didn't have to pay for it either.  They were very helpful.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gingataff

ripped out cap and missing pot? more slaughtered than broken I'd say. wtf happened??

flanagan0718

Quote from: gingataff on December 13, 2013, 01:32:28 PM
ripped out cap and missing pot? more slaughtered than broken I'd say. wtf happened??
I would have to agree with you on that! I guess my friend brought it to someone he knew that did some electronic work. The dude is a hack! After looking at it i might just harvest the ICs out of it and call it a day. Here are the pictures of the carnage!

Govmnt_Lacky

I have read (while looking for the provided picture) of multiple people opening the back of these only to have those SMT electros just fall right out so it is not uncommon.

If there is any contact left on the pads, it wouldn't take much to replace the 1uF cap.

For the missing pot.... is it just a standard 16mm right angle PCB mount pot? What do the others look like? As long as you can still solder the cap on there, this is definitely fixable!  ;)

pk1802

I repaired a carbon copy that had some fried resistors. No idea what caused it. I assume someone tried to hook it up to AC or a higher DC voltage. Anyway, the PCB was toast where the resistors were located, but with 10 minutes of tracing and some pictures from the internet I was able to reverse engineer the connections and get it working. Replacing the 1uf should be easy as long as you can see the traces. The pot should be replaceable and traceable as well.

If not, hit me up. I'd be glad to take it off your hands and have a shot at fixing it.

lars

It looks like the pads have been lifted along with the missing cap. You'll probably have to solder the legs of the new electro to the pads of the adjacent components from the schematic. It's one of the things I don't like about SMD pcbs. Even just a little heat seems to lift the pads right off.

flanagan0718

Yeah the pads were ripped out. This thing is a mess. I'll do my best with it but I told my buddy, "it might be a dead pedal". Either way thanks for all the help guys! Any one know where I can get the schematic???