News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

"Pffft" on Cave Dweller

Started by anonymous, December 19, 2013, 11:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anonymous

OK, second build, Cave Dweller, super fun build, I got it all to fit into a maybe 4" diameter can. It looks like a spaceship!

My problem is with the echo function. The echo, or slapback sound is not a direct echo of the input sound. That is to say, when I play a note, the note is colored with this "pfft" or "pptthh" kind of fuzzy sound. This only takes effect in the last 1/3 of the echo pot. The first 2/3 of the sweep are clean.

I replaced socket C3 with a 3n3 cap, and also have a 1uF tantalum cap in C10. Polarity on C10 is correct.

I have not tried any problem solving yet, as I am quite new, and am more so "assembling" pedals at this point than "building" them. Anybody have any ideas?

midwayfair

This is normal. PT2399s are noisy, with increasingly bad fidelity at higher settings without heavy filtering, and the Cave Dweller does not heavily filter the single repeat from the "Echo." Brian calls this a "medium-fi" delay, but I would describe it as low-fi for the most part. Honestly, though, it's kind of part of its charm.

anonymous

Well that's great to hear. It was not so much that I was turned off by the noise, but I wanted to see if perhaps I did something wrong. So far my builds have been fun and trouble free! Now, fitting everything into a 1590A is another story. I think I like wire sculpture too much...