News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Two Pots To A 3PDT Toggle Switch

Started by Ric046, January 14, 2014, 03:08:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ric046

Hi, I've tried on a couple of projects to wire two pots to a 3PDT toggle switch in order to switch between, for example two gain pots or two volume pots and I always seem to get this loud click/squeal as I switch the switch. So I must be doing something wrong, but I can't for the life of me figure out what!

I simply wire holes 1-3 from the PCB to the three central pins of the 3PDT, and then lugs 1-3 of the two pots to the two sets of pins on the outside of the 3PDT. Simples. Everything works as it should apart from this click/squeal during the switching process.

In this lastest case I'm switching between two frequency pots on my 'Karate Shop' build. In this case, as far as I can make out, the signals coming in to lug 1, lug 2 & 3 are connected together as the signal goes out to gnd.

Cheers
Ric

Nate77

Maybe a resistor (68k ??) between pins 1 & 2, and another between pins 2 & 3. I would use an 1/8 watt just for space availability. This pot switching thing is pretty clever! I've never thought about that. Good work man. I hope this helps.

Ric046

Hi nate, yep it's cool. Do it with a 3PDT footswitch and you can switch between two settings while playing. I found some stuff on another forum on how to wire up in this situation

http://www.ilovefuzz.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=18767 check a couple of posts down.

But this doesn't quite work for my situation.

Please could you give me a little more info. When you say 'a resistor between pins 1 & 2', do you mean the pins 1 & 2 of the central 3 pins of the 3PDT or 1 & 2 of each set of 3 pins on the switch?

Also would connecting pins 1 & 2 not mess up the circuit as 1 & 2 are only connected through the pot.

I'm confused!

mysticaxe

If one of the pins goes to ground, I would leave it connected all the time.  You could then use the 3rd row for an LED to let you know which pot is active...

Ric046

Hi. None of the pins go direct to gnd unfortunately.

Its the frequency pot of the karate shop if you want to take a look at the schematic.

2 & 3 eventually go to gnd so I could keep these two connected all the time?

DutchMF

Maybe you should get one of these:

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3436270

I have one that I haven't been able to use in a build yet, but I'll report back when I do.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Ric046

I've got some of those '2 Knob Jobs' from GuitarPCB. They're very good, but unfortunately they don't fit 3PDT toggle switches.

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on January 14, 2014, 05:01:16 PM
Maybe you should get one of these:

http://www.guitarpcb.com/apps/webstore/products/show/3436270

I have one that I haven't been able to use in a build yet, but I'll report back when I do.

Paul
This look pretty cool! But how does it work to switch off? Or i understood wrong;-S?
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

DutchMF

Switching the effect off would be done with another, separate 3PDT. This board only switches between 2 pots, for preset volume levels/delay times/chorus depths etc..... Kinda cool, actually, mine is going in a porkbarrel that I wanted to do something similar with, but never got working properly.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on January 14, 2014, 07:24:21 PM
Switching the effect off would be done with another, separate 3PDT. This board only switches between 2 pots, for preset volume levels/delay times/chorus depths etc..... Kinda cool, actually, mine is going in a porkbarrel that I wanted to do something similar with, but never got working properly.

Paul
daaaaaaa! that's make sense! :P
now that u mentioned, just finished my porkbarrel. still wondering how to get the best out of it. :P
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

Nate77

If you're looking at the bottom of the 3pdt it would be numbered ; 147
                                                                                                 258
                                                                                                 369
So I was thinking an 1/8 watt 68-ish resistor may eat up some of that squeal. So in retrospect, it would be pins 1 and 3, and also pins 7 and 9. I'm thinking that what you are experiencing is the monetary simultaneous contact of the switch. The resistors would be acting similar to a pull down resistor. YOu may need to use a much larger value. Good luck man. Let me know if this helps

Ric046

No good Nate. I tried it out with two 120k's, still getting the loud click with no audiable difference.

Cheers for trying to help me out.