News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Does anyone sell ...

Started by davidnlsw, January 19, 2014, 08:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidnlsw

a pre-drilled 125B that is powder-coated and has the IN, OUT, 9v jacks on the back of the enclosure instead of on the sides?

Basically like this but powder-coated.

Or like this but with the jacks on the back instead of the side?

I've checked all the usual suspects and I am just not finding any. The PPP box is just what I'm looking for as far as color options, convenience, etc. I just want a box that will line up right alongside a BYOC kit I have on my board now that is 125B with the jacks on the back.

I suppose I could invest in some drill bits and just do it myself... I'm just still new at all this so I'm trying to take it a few steps at a time.

alanp

I don't normally order enclosures from PPP, but IIRC, they can drill enclosures?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

PPP will drill for you if you send them a detailed drawing.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Maple Larynx

Mammoth Electronics.  Pick the powder coat color, select the drill pattern you want, make sure you check the box that says:  "Top Mount Jacks (In/Out jacks will be drilled on the north face of the enclosure)".  If you pick one of the BYOC drill options, the jacks are all drilled in the top automatically.  The 9v jack is always on top.

davidnlsw

Quote from: alanp on January 19, 2014, 09:14:02 PM
I don't normally order enclosures from PPP, but IIRC, they can drill enclosures?
They offer pre-drilled enclosures but all the jacks are on the sides.
Quote from: pickdropper on January 19, 2014, 09:15:35 PM
PPP will drill for you if you send them a detailed drawing.
So a drilling template like this?

Quote from: Maple Larynx on January 19, 2014, 10:21:58 PM
Mammoth Electronics.  Pick the powder coat color, select the drill pattern you want, make sure you check the box that says:  "Top Mount Jacks (In/Out jacks will be drilled on the north face of the enclosure)".  If you pick one of the BYOC drill options, the jacks are all drilled in the top automatically.  The 9v jack is always on top.
I'll check Mammoth now. Thanks.

pickdropper

I think you'll need more detail for PPP's drilling.  All of the holes need to be referenced, probably to the center or to an edge.

The easiest thing would probably be to shoot them an email and ask what their preferred format is.
Function f(x)

Chi_Boy

PPP will do anything you want, nut you will need more detail.

Something like the last page here: http://home.comcast.net/~gprause/BuildDocs/Xtc_V1.2_Build_Doc%20V2.pdf

davidnlsw

Quote from: Chi_Boy on January 20, 2014, 07:49:25 AM
PPP will do anything you want, nut you will need more detail.

Something like the last page here: http://home.comcast.net/~gprause/BuildDocs/Xtc_V1.2_Build_Doc%20V2.pdf

Argh. I wish I wasn't feeling so lazy. I'm tempted to just go with one from mammoth... even though PPP has the color option that I really want.

pickdropper

The PPP finishes are a lot more durable, too...
Function f(x)

GermanCdn

If the choice is PPP or Mammoth, always go with PPP for enclosures.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

davidnlsw

I sent PPP an email to see if they'd be able to help me out.

I know that they do custom drilling, it's just a pretty common layout and just a bit different than their normal  template, I'd rather not have to put together a custom template for them.

We'll see what they say.

Leevibe

Don't be afraid to try your hand at drilling.  I use an Irwin stepped bit for almost everything and it works great.  I put masking tape down first, then measure and mark on the tape so I don't have to worry about messing up.  Center punch and drill slow and straight.  My unibit doesn't tend to "walk" like I've experienced with regular twist bits.

If your holes don't end up perfectly aligned you can always go one more "step" on the bit and fudge the jack around to line it up.  Not ideal but I've had to do it more than once.

alanp

After you center punch, be certain to drill everything out with pilot holes first, maybe a 3mm bit. The 3mm bit won't wander much at all, and the resulting hole will give the bigger bits something to latch onto (and not wander.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on January 20, 2014, 11:16:02 PM
After you center punch, be certain to drill everything out with pilot holes first, maybe a 3mm bit.

That's actually a great idea