News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PCB coloring/corrosion?

Started by mandrewbot3k, March 11, 2011, 10:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mandrewbot3k

I have 4 boards that I etched, two OCDs and two Quasars. I have them populated and i didnt get around to them for a while and now that I'm back on them, the copper has turned a bit green. I dont know if I've etched them too long, or what. I cleaned them with a lot of acetone after etching, so the reaction should stop. Should I use a brillo pad and then clear coat it with some lacquer once I'm all wired up and working?

Or just leave it be.

Any suggestions? I'll try to add pics when I get home from work tonight.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

madbean

That's oxidation. It's normal. If you've already completed soldering it's not a big deal. If you still have areas to solder you should try to clean the pads a little with brillo or steel wool. Very carefully clean those areas afterward with a tiny bit of Acetone. You'll want to be careful to avoid damaging any components!

mandrewbot3k

Quote from: madbean on March 11, 2011, 10:56:33 AM
That's oxidation. It's normal. If you've already completed soldering it's not a big deal. If you still have areas to solder you should try to clean the pads a little with brillo or steel wool. Very carefully clean those areas afterward with a tiny bit of Acetone. You'll want to be careful to avoid damaging any components!

I just have all my wires and the diodes. which i forgot to do. so just use a q-tip or something with acetone after a steel wool scrub?
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)

madbean

Yep, I've done that before. Should be okay. You just need to rough the surface up a little to give the solder something to adhere to.