News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Finishing: Clear powder coat vs Envirotex resin

Started by smallpoxchampion, January 28, 2014, 11:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallpoxchampion

Recently acquired a powder coating system, still getting my bearings with the process so I haven't done an enclosure just yet. This made me wonder, when it comes to clear coating over water slides or other labeling how does powder coat clear compare to those clear high gloss epoxy jobs with envirotex. Durability, scratching, etc?

slimtriggers

I've not had good luck powder coating clear over decals.  For some reason the powder cracks.  I don't know if the decals shrink/grow during heating, or if I just need to adjust how much I'm spraying on.  Ultimately I gave up on trying to powder clear over decals and went with rattle can clear coat.

jimmybjj

I clear powder over decals fine. I'm not sure if it was just my mix but I've had envirotex yellow pretty significantly over time on light colors.

Durability on both have been great on my attempts.
Pcbs no longer available

miter53

I've used a couple of other options:
SEM 40903 High Performance Clearcoat - autobody finish available in a rattlecan. Works great over decals, does not yellow, and very tough. Really sprays well for a can. Fumes are kinda strong.

General Finishes Gloss Pre-Cat Urethane - water base cabinet finish that I've been experimenting with. So far the results have been very good. You need spray equipment (see http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Gravity-Feed-HVLP-Spray-Gun-H4840GHVSG/203497519) and some basic spray skills, but the water cleanup and low odor are great. Not quite crystal clear or as glossy like the SEM finish, but the clarity is very good, and applying the water base finish over a decal seems to help adhere it. See my WIIO pedal in Build Reports for an example of what you can do by adding metallic and color pigments to the water base finish. Patience is key (not my strong suit) due to the longer dry times.
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

danwelsh

I like clear coat....have had good luck with it but I'm going to try 2 part epoxy(essentially what envirotex is)...I wonder if anyones tried that...not trying to hj thread

rullywowr

I powder my own boxes and I too sometimes have issues with powder clear and waterslides. They burn and lift easily.  I like envirotex and regular clear over them recently.   Not saying it can't be done but it's a total pisser when you put the last clear  powder on and it screws up all your work!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

stevie1556

Depends on the labeling method you go for.

When I tried water slides, I used laser ones in the hope they would withstand the heat, but I found they either went slightly brown on the lighter enclosures, of cracked under the powder coat clear. I've never tried envirotex so I can't comment on that.

I did have a few good results using a toner transfer technique that Davent showed me. Printing something on paper using a laser printer, brushing some clear acrylic medium on using a brush, then pressing the toner down into it. When it's dry, rub the paper off with water, and clear up the excess medium. I powder coated clear over it, and after a few goes, had a couple of really good looking boxes.

If you do mess any boxes up (I've messed up loads), soak them in acetone for 30 mins and then the powder coat will wipe off them. I've threw away loads of boxes before I realised this! :(