News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kraken vs. Nautilus

Started by thesameage, February 01, 2014, 06:59:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Obviously, the Nautilus has a lot more shaping options, but what are the differences in the main "wah" sound. I'd like to build a Nautilus with less options and it seems like the Kraken is the way to go-- but there aren't a lot of samples online. Thoughts?

micromegas

not a demo of the pedal itself, but you can hear it in action in this video Rej did for the October contest. (arround minute 3)

Anyway, I haven't build those yet, but have the pcbs for both. When in doubt, build all of them and compare!
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Betty Wont

The Nautilus (when dialed in) is a wetter funkier filter. Sound like phish. The Kraken sounds good at just about any setting and is more of a rock lead filter. Sounds like Ween.

jimilee

If it's an autowah you're after, the autobahn is thus far the best sounding easiest build I have the pleasure of doing. I sold mine to someone who wanted it worse than I did, so now I gotta build another.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

Quote from: jimilee on February 03, 2014, 07:29:08 AM
If it's an autowah you're after, the autobahn is thus far the best sounding easiest build I have the pleasure of doing. I sold mine to someone who wanted it worse than I did, so now I gotta build another.

Now you are speaking my language! Phish vs. WEEN filter sounds. I get it.

thesameage

It's starting to make me think that I need to build the Nautilus! I was going to try to avoid going that route and build something simpler, but maybe I need to double down and do it.

Thoughts?

jimilee

If you're up for it, definitely a great sounding pedal.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

I'm trying to decide if I'm up for it. Doesn't look that hard... but you never know!

jimilee

Right, it is a challenge. I still haven't decided if I'm up for it or not also. I think there are a few hard to find pieces, check the bom first.

Betty Wont

I've built both. the nautilus isn't any more difficult to build, just a little spendier. I love them both but the kraken is my favorite filter ever and has no unusable settings. But that is subjective to my gear and ear. I'd say plan on both but start with the easier cheaper one.