News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Confessions thread

Started by madbean, February 10, 2014, 06:55:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

billstein

The Beatles are interesting. Rubber Soul is one of my favorite albums, pretty mature music for the times. Then they started putting out things like Maxwell's silver hammer, Octupus's garden, Obladi Oblada and the like that seemed like teeny bopper songs that ran right alongside incredibly creative songs that were very cutting edge like I am the Walrus.

Their later albums I found to be frustratingly uneven. I guess it's a "When they were good they were very very good, but when they were bad they stunk."

m-Kresol

I think the Beatles played a big role in the development of music. Still, I don't listen to their songs and if I hear one of them by accident, I always wonder what the fuzz is about. Same thing with the stones and Queen. Most of the music my parents like is more or less ok with the occasional no-go.

Another guitar confession: Shredder Guitar albums. I don't like 'em.

I'm talking Satriani, Vai, Gilbert, Malmsteem etc.

I like a solo as much as anyone else, but an hour straight of widdling. No thanks... I'll pass
I saw Joe Satriani in Autumn. He is quite good and if you are at the concert, 2 hours of fiddling is damn awesome. If you're at home listening to it, I rather think it's annoying.
btw: Satriani>Vai>Malmsteem (Malmsteem not for his playing, but for his looks. Sorry. Why does that guy have to wear tight leather pants and glittery shirts not to mention all the gold bracelets and rings, which look weird but make his guitar playing a bit more impressive)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Jabulani Jonny

I can absolutely appreciate what the Beatles did for music at the time and beyond, the same for Nirvana, it's just not something that I'm going to listen to. 

A follow up confession on music that I still love... Guns N Roses.  I grew up listening to this stuff and will never forget being in Junior High listening to the Top 10 at 9:00.  It was full of Pop and the hair bands that wore make-up.  Then Welcome to the Jungle came on and it was like " What the...!??"  I've been hooked ever since. 

Now, anything after Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 you can throw in the trash.  I actually still like Slash's playing and I think he has a great blend of blues, rock and jazz licks that he melds together.  I can understand if you don't like Axl's vocals, I happen to think they were his own instrument that fit the searing guitars pretty well.  However, you have to admit that the opening of Sweet Child o Mine is one of the best signature opening hooks ever.  Well, you don't have to, but then we can't be friends.   
Jonathan

icecycle66

I like the Little Caesars deep dish combo mambo guys.

atreidesheir

I like duran duran.
and Justin Timberlake.  not nsync. just timberlake.
I think Kelly Clarkson is awesome.  I would hang with her.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

slimtriggers

Quote from: atreidesheir on February 14, 2014, 04:30:40 PM
I like duran duran.

I read that as "I would bang her"
:-[ ;D

Matt

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 14, 2014, 02:39:39 PM
I can absolutely appreciate what the Beatles did for music at the time and beyond, the same for Nirvana, it's just not something that I'm going to listen to. 

A follow up confession on music that I still love... Guns N Roses.  I grew up listening to this stuff and will never forget being in Junior High listening to the Top 10 at 9:00.  It was full of Pop and the hair bands that wore make-up.  Then Welcome to the Jungle came on and it was like " What the...!??"  I've been hooked ever since. 

Now, anything after Use Your Illusion 1 & 2 you can throw in the trash.  I actually still like Slash's playing and I think he has a great blend of blues, rock and jazz licks that he melds together.  I can understand if you don't like Axl's vocals, I happen to think they were his own instrument that fit the searing guitars pretty well.  However, you have to admit that the opening of Sweet Child o Mine is one of the best signature opening hooks ever.  Well, you don't have to, but then we can't be friends.

Appetite was and still is an amazing album.  I burned up 3 cassettes bought the cd and still listen to it today. 

Have to disagree with you on the illusion albums there are a few songs that I really like.  Estranged, Bad Obsession to name a couple.
Matt

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: Dc10 on February 14, 2014, 06:36:44 PM

Appetite was and still is an amazing album.  I burned up 3 cassettes bought the cd and still listen to it today. 

Have to disagree with you on the illusion albums there are a few songs that I really like.  Estranged, Bad Obsession to name a couple.

Yo DC I said AFTER Illusion 1 & 2. Shoot dude there are some gems on both of those. I mean the run at the end of 1; Don't Damn Me, Bad Apples, Dead Horse and Coma?  That is some great rock and roll.

In fact, Go Go Gadget Spotify!  Believe I'll take a spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

midwayfair

Quote from: madbean on February 13, 2014, 07:25:24 PMAlso, I've started Don Quixote probably 5 times and always quit around page 100.

Gabriel Garcia Marquez's suggestion is to read it on the toilet. My suggestion is to read Edith Grossman's translation, which is readable in ways that no previous translation really is.

I promise it's worth it in the end. It is THE novel -- everything from every age of fiction since is in there, and it will probably never be surpassed. The second part is also one of the most heartbreaking things in literature.

atreidesheir

Quote from: slimtriggers on February 14, 2014, 04:37:52 PM
Quote from: atreidesheir on February 14, 2014, 04:30:40 PM
I like duran duran.

I read that as "I would bang her"
:-[ ;D
I think she is cool...and yes.
Technically we are all half-centaur. - Nick Offerman

sonarchotic

[/quote]

Does anyone outside the southern bit of the US like country?
[/quote]
The truth may disturb you ;D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-26070521
I'm not a fan of his and this is hard to fathom but it is apparently real.

DutchMF

I can't believe GNR popped up in this thread. Sheer brilliance up to Illusions 1&2. Huge fan, and Slash is still one of my favourites. Saw him live not to long ago, the guy can still deliver!

Paul

"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Matt

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on February 14, 2014, 06:42:23 PM
Quote from: Dc10 on February 14, 2014, 06:36:44 PM

Yo DC I said AFTER Illusion 1 & 2. Shoot dude there are some gems on both of those. I mean the run at the end of 1; Don't Damn Me, Bad Apples, Dead Horse and Coma?  That is some great rock and roll.

In fact, Go Go Gadget Spotify!  Believe I'll take a spin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad, misread the post!   
Matt

timbo_93631

Wife and I love the Beatles.  Two of my kids are Harrison and Penny Lane.

Pink Floyd is my favorite rock band of the era, Blackfoot, and Wishbone Ash come next.

I listen to a lot of country, love Brad Paisley's playing and hokey lyrics, and love Junior Brown's playing and even hokier lyrics even more, really love Rascal Flatts.

I am the last remaining Squirrel Nut Zippers fan.

I prefer the sound of a Hammond B3 over an accordion, and both more than any electric guitar sound.

I love Alton Ellis, Jackie Opel, and the Gaylads more than any of the music mentioned above.

Django is above it all.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

Haberdasher

yeah, i have to admit i get a kick outof junior brown.  that dude rips, plain & simple.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS