News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

DIY Pedalboard and Palmer PWT12

Started by m-Kresol, February 16, 2014, 06:09:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Hey guys, I built this pedalboard a while back just so that I could put my pedals away easier and in a clean way at home, but only got to post it now since I just got my new power supply on Friday.
The built is pretty straight forward. Nevertheless, I miscalculated (forgot to consider the thickness of the wood) and had some other minor issues. As already mentioned in another thread, I used some pieces of carpeting we had in the attic as substitute for velcro tape since the latter is crazy expensive. The pedals have the "hook" velcro at the bottom, so they are fixed well enough. It's not super tight, but more than enough to prevent any gliding when transporting or stomping on the pedals. In retrospect, I shouldn't have painted it red, rather than just lacquer it.

As mentioned above, I got my power supply on Friday. Funny story: I ordered a T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic two weeks ago and was told it would arrive within a week. After calling this week and again on Friday, I was told after they inquired a little that the fuel tank stopped being sold 2 weeks ago. Luckily, the offered me the Fuel Tank Goliath for 170€ (stock price 245€). Still more than I intended on spending (classic was 138), but I thought I'd take it. When I looked the Goliath up, I had to learn that, whilst having higher max. Output currents, it only had 7 instead of 10 outputs. Since I intended to have as many as possible because of my growing pedal collection/addiction, I started digging through other options and found the Palmer PWT12. Luckily, they had it in stock and made the same offer of 170€ (stock: around 230€).
This power supply is just great! Big recommendation! German fabricate, 12 outputs, robust and well made. It's a bit big and heavy, I have to admit - it doesn't fit under my board which I intended, but it's worth it. Outputs 1-6 are 9V, 7-8 are 9V with switchable pinout (LED indicated), 9-10 are 18V or 12V and 18V (also LED indicated), 11-12 are 9V again or 12VDC (LED). The outputs are isolated in pairs (1&2, 3&4,....). Guess, I was really lucky after all that the fuel tank was out of stock :)

My current board: Klon clone overdrive from UK electronics (not hard to spot: my first DIY attempt), an old and crappy Ibanez distortion, Zeropoint SDX and a Behringer chorus. Got a few coming soon.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

jimijam

I like the plate with the strain relief holes for running your cables through. i have busted a ton of plugs by accidentally tugging on them while they are plugged in. the holes look big enough for 2/3 cables plus a cable tie to fasten them to the plate. good solution.
tried lifting weights once....they were too heavy!

m-Kresol

Quote from: jimijam on February 16, 2014, 07:50:11 AM
I like the plate with the strain relief holes for running your cables through. i have busted a ton of plugs by accidentally tugging on them while they are plugged in. the holes look big enough for 2/3 cables plus a cable tie to fasten them to the plate. good solution.

Yeah, that would be great... unfortunately, the jacks that came with the power source are a little bit too big to fit through the hole?! I have no clue, what they thought when packing those with the source. So far, this is the only flaw.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol

DutchMF

That board looks awesome, good job! And I've got to get me one of those Palmers, looks like the psu the cockroaches would use after WWIII.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

m-Kresol

Quote from: DutchMF on February 16, 2014, 10:58:54 AM
That board looks awesome, good job! And I've got to get me one of those Palmers, looks like the psu the cockroaches would use after WWIII.

Paul

You sure should! According to the vendor, Palmer is rather unknown up to now, but as I see it, they have a bright future if all their products are that well built. From what I've seen by just sweeping over their website, they have a lot of high-end stuff in their repertoire.