News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Best USB audio interface?

Started by jighead81, February 16, 2014, 10:02:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jighead81

Lookin for a cheapie, nothing fancy.  Thinking about the M-Audio M track.  The M track is around $100 and looks like everything I'd need, but wondering if there's a better one for the same price that some of you's guys use.

Gledison

Quote from: jighead81 on February 16, 2014, 10:02:24 PM
Lookin for a cheapie, nothing fancy.  Thinking about the M-Audio M track.  The M track is around $100 and looks like everything I'd need, but wondering if there's a better one for the same price that some of you's guys use.
I have a M- Audio Fast track and it does the job perfectly! Its quite small and easy to use!
Cheera
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

raulduke

Not sure whats around for $100

Presonus stuff is quite popular, and you also get a free version of their studio one DAW.

Alesis stuff is also nice quality.

Native Instruments have one that sells over here for £199.00. Comes with Guitar Rig (which is amazing).

M-Audio used to be a bit cheapy, but I haven't bought anything from them for years so they may have improved.

Willybomb

Can't say I know too much about USB stuff these days (I pawned my firewire interface a few years ago), but I'm thinking the new focusrite stuff looks pretty good.

drezdn

I was able to find a used/like new Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for $108 on ebay. I've only been able to try it a little bit, but it sounds great to me. Here's a link to the listing I got it from.

Haberdasher

yep i also got the little focusrite scralett off some dood on craigslist for a c-note.  i have barely used it but it seems pretty decent for the basics.  you just get the 2 combo jacks on the front though.  if line-in is important for you, keep shopping.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

slimtriggers

If you only need one input, I've been using a Pod Studio GX.  It does what I need, which isn't much :)  I don't use it for modeling, really, just an interface.  As I recall, though, it was kind of a pain to set up the software so that it worked with Reaper.  Absolutely no latency once it's setup right, though.  And only $80.

jkokura

I've owned a few brands, including M-Audio PCI cards (1010), and the Presonus AudioBox. I'd pick an AudioBox every time at this point.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jighead81

I just bought my wife an iMac and would love to use it on there. Would I better off using something with FireWire?
I'll have to check out some of your suggestions, thanks guys

jkokura

I think the question these days is less about firewire/usb and more about features and drivers. I've had issues with the M-Audio drivers. I've never had issues with the Presonus drives at all.

For the record, I used the M-Audio stuff with a PC, and the Presonus stuff with a Mac. I've used both firewire and USB interfaces, and they all work fine. I think when you start to run 8+ signals in or out, Firewire might be better, but if you're looking at a mini device, you will only really be looking at new USB interfaces. You might find a used Firebox out there somewhere though.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals