News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

inkjet decal frustration

Started by add4, February 26, 2014, 11:05:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

add4

Yo,

So i put one decal on the first enclosure i made for about 2 years, so i miht have forgotten something ...
It's a clear inkjet decal from musikding, i used them before without problem.

This decal has lot of large areas with air under itn even if it sticks correctly.
I wonder what i could do to prevent that. Is is possible that i did not let it long enough in water?
I was trying to move it from the support in water to minimize water exposure time.

any advice is welcome.

Thanks in advance

davent

For accepting the decal, did the top of the enclosure have a good puddle of water on it?
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Gledison

Im not sure if its the time in water! If released the backing paper easily shouldn't be the issue! Assuming the enclosure surface was very clean iy might help to spread some water on the surface before sticking the decal! You could also just shift a little of the backing, attach the top part, and release the rest by pulling the backing slowly. With the water pads underneath u can squeegee the bubbles.   
Chromesphere has a nice video on utube showing this!
Good luck
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

muddyfox

For the experienced watersliders... Can one just do the whole thing under water? Submerge everything and take it out when it's done?

sent from my mobile device

billstein

I put a drop of dishwashing soap in. Makes it easier to slide around. Then place the backing paper on top of the decal, slimy side down and I use a credit card to squeegee the air bubbles out. I learned that from watching a guy at BestBuy put the screen protector on my phone. I've only done a few but so far so good.

add4

DISHWATER SOAP!!
That's it, i used to mix dishwater soap with water into a spray and i would spray the opt of the enclosure with it, the soap keeps the water on top. i guess i had not enough water on top of the enclosure, i remembered it was less than before, but i couldn't remember why ..

Thanks for helping. dishwater soap i will use for the next enclosure!
thanks
thanks
thanks
thanks

Gledison

Yeeeeess!
just a little drop of detergent is enough!
you dont want some foam around ehheeheheh

add4

ok guys,
back on the forum after a new decal has been applied on a pedal, using water with a bit of soap into it in order to wet the whole surface of the pedal before applying the decal.
I have less air bubbles, but they are still here .. i'm so confused, i used to do that without any problems.

Here is the detailed process :
-print the decal (musikding inkjet decal)
-varnish it (i put slightly more varnish than i usually do this time)
-once it's dry -> cut the decal to pedal size
-prepare some water with soap
-put the decal in the same (with soap) water and wait 2 mins to detach it from the base, then 30 more seconds to be certain it's really wet and the adhesive is activated on the whole decal surface
-put the pedal surface into the water and when i remove it, assess that i still have water on the whole pedal surface
- gently put the decal over the surface and adjusting it a bit
- take a credit card and gently slide it over the decal holding it in place, to remove most of the water trapped between the decal and pedal
- go to sleep because it's 2am
- take the pedal back the following morning and see it's still not good enough.. :(

here are some pics so you can see what the bubbles look like

any ideas and help would be appreciated

Jabulani Jonny

Looks to me like you're waiting too long in the water.  Also need to make sure your water is lukewarm.

Check out Chromesphere's video for more help: 

Jonathan

jimilee

Is that a high gloss blue? I've had the same issues with high gloss paints, I've found satin works better, and lately I've been soling the enclosure in the same temp water as the decal, seems to help.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Gledison

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 08, 2014, 01:14:55 PM
Looks to me like you're waiting too long in the water.  Also need to make sure your water is lukewarm.

Check out Chromesphere's video for more help: 

I think so too! i leave mine under water for about 1 min max. Actully the water goes pretty fast to the the interface between label and backing.
other think that might be is that your surface has some dust. What you could do is to wetsand your surface witha 2000grit sandpaper just a bit to make all the surface even.
or you could also, clear coat, like 2 coats, let it dry and apply the decal over the smooth clear coat.
cheers

wgc

If you have any bumps on your paint, it can give you problems, the decal can't form around them tightly enough and it will leave a gap/bubble.
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

davent

Just soak until the decal releases from the paper backing, no set time for release to take place so you have to keep testing the soaking decal to see if they'll separate. I use a damp piece of paper towel to smooth out the positioned decal squeezing out the water and air.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Jabulani Jonny

Great tip from Juansolo is to use the decal backing to smooth out the air bubbles. The little bit of adhesive left on the backing helps as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

gordo

If the surface you're putting the decal on is reasonably smooth then you just need to force the bubbles out.  You can use a pin to create an outlet but the easiest way is to use one of those credit cards you get in the mail but don't accept and use the front edge (tends to be more rounded) to gently swipe the excess water away like a squeegee.  You are trying to drag the water (and air bubbles) to an edge where it/they can be removed.  Don't use so much pressure that you move the decal or distort it, but be firm enough to work the decal flat and dry.  Blot the squeeze out up with a bit of paper towel and keep working it.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?