News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer for bass?

Started by thesameage, February 27, 2014, 07:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Anyone using one on bass? What mods did you do?

Talked to Grindcustoms and he had a few suggestions to change the input cap, the low frequency cut off cap, and tone stack frequency response. Has anyone else built one just for bass?

jimilee

Quote from: thesameage on February 27, 2014, 07:02:39 PM
Anyone using one on bass? What mods did you do?

Talked to Grindcustoms and he had a few suggestions to change the input cap, the low frequency cut off cap, and tone stack frequency response. Has anyone else built one just for bass?
Yep. sure did. used the mods he suggested, it has a permanent spot on my board. I built a limited run Grind Klone with a booster on it as a matter of fact.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

How would you describe the sound? Exactly what values did you use?

jimilee

A very tight overdrive with great definition. Input cap was a 390n.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

Getting closer to building this-- boards should be available tomorrow. Still doing my homework, though.

So... can anyone tell me what the/which is the:

1) Input cap is, 2) the low frequency cutoff cap is, and 3) the tone stack frequency response? :)

Also looks like I should give the bass contour knob mod a go:
Bass contour knob
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=13353.0

jimilee

If you read the instruction forum over at grind, he and I had this whole discussion  including which caps to switch. I don't remember it anymore, been a while.

thesameage

I think at minimum you can switch out the input cap... that's Rej's suggestion for the Chimera. There are a lot of other things that you can do though and when you change one thing, it changes others and you have to compensate-- that's why it's complicated, at least that's my understanding.