News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Porkbarrel depth

Started by Willybomb, March 06, 2014, 11:08:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

Gudday all.  I've just built a Madbean Pork Barrel, and it works fine, except it doesn't seem to have a lot of depth and there's no way I could use it in an over-the-top way.  It's built to spec except the 8n2 caps have been replaced with 10n.

It's acceptable, but it just seems like it should have "more".

Any ideas, or what can I do without that led rate mod?

pryde

Seems to be a common complaint with this one unfortunately. Not sure which version you built but in my mn3007 version running at 15v I was able to get some pretty nice depth with a few tweaks. I will post a build report and demo soon. Here is the thread:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=14192.0

Willybomb

Yeah, thanks.  I built the MN3101, v3102 version, running at 9v.  I'm going to try upping the resistor mentioned in the build docs.

Willybomb

I upped R39 to 33k (because that's what I had lying around) and I'm a lot happier.  It still doesn't have the "range" of my cheap aldi chorus, BUT, now I can get some noticeable (if not over the top annoying) warble on sustained single notes whereas with the stock 4.7k I wasn't.

Without looking at the schematic, I wonder if 4.7k isn't a typo from somewhere along the tracks... is it supposed to be 47k?

edit:  Tried a 47k.  More warble, and as a result I don't need to max out the depth pot anymore (I didn't really need to at 33k either, but there's more spectrum along the pot's travel now).  Diminishing returns over the 33k, but I think it's better than the 4.7k.

Clayford

Yup - That's "stock" CE-2, from the tracing I've seen and the tonepad (and it's associated) clone(s).  As Brian mentions in the build documentation, there's the option of a depth mod and an LFO indicator with the change of that resistor and adding an LED. You didn't add the LFO indicator but you did use the depth mod still. 

There's another mod you can do as well for those who need it deeper...

This is the Tonepad mod for depth
Add a spst switch in parallel with c18(47pF) that adds in another 47pF (feel free to try different values!).
If you've done both - you might wanna move r39 to around the 10k range. I did.

While you're in there you might as well add the wet mod as well? C8 becomes a 12nF with a 22nF attached to a spst in parallel.

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: Clayford on March 10, 2014, 04:49:48 PM
Yup - That's "stock" CE-2, from the tracing I've seen and the tonepad (and it's associated) clone(s).  As Brian mentions in the build documentation, there's the option of a depth mod and an LFO indicator with the change of that resistor and adding an LED. You didn't add the LFO indicator but you did use the depth mod still. 

Add a spst switch in parallel with c18(47pF) that adds in another 47pF (feel free to try different values!).

While you're in there you might as well add the wet mod as well? C8 becomes a 12nF with a 22nF attached to a spst in parallel.

Clay,
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the wet mod do?  Do you have a link for it?  THx.
Jonathan

Herostratus

+2. Only reading about these mods after I've finished the pedal... Might have to build a second one to load all the mods onto.

DutchMF

If anybody is interested, I have the Tonepad doc with all their mods, but I think it is still up on the TP site. There is also an older version of the Porkbarrel with those mods included, should be in the MB archives. Shoot me a PM if you want the docs for both.

Personally, the Porkbarrel with the Depth mod as Brian detailed it is all I want in a chorus. I have a 9v version with the 3207/3102 combo, and a 15v one with 3007/3101. The latter is a bit nicer, but there is not much of a difference. Depends a lot on the amp your putting it through. Just my 2 cents.....

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Clayford

Quote from: Jabulani Jonny on March 10, 2014, 09:00:36 PM
Quote from: Clayford on March 10, 2014, 04:49:48 PM

Clay,
Excuse my ignorance, but what does the wet mod do?  Do you have a link for it?  THx.
Wet mod increases the bass response of the "wet" sound. ... done in conjunction with a c250k in series with R27 (an effect level mod) makes it more suited for bass.
http://www.tonepad.com/getFile.asp?id=101 <~~Tonepad document detailing the mods. You'll need to trace and adjust their parts for Madbeans.
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded