News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

true bypass with two different effects in one pedal?!

Started by aran.e666, March 14, 2014, 11:38:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aran.e666

So I was wondering as I'm a fan of dpdt footswitches, id love to have true bypass but another switch allowing me to choose 1 of 2 different effects aswell but all in one box. P.s I know how to wire true bypass but not with two different effects and a switch to have either one active.

Thanks 8)
Guitar is love, guitar is life.

mattlee0037

I would imagine that the first on/off stomp would be wired like normal but the send and return effect would be wired to the two common lugs of the DPDT switch and then the in and out of one effect would be on top and the in and out of the other effect on the bottom and you could switch between them.

aran.e666

Thanks for the reply but I still cant picture it. Is therr any schematics or anything?

jimilee

I'm curious about this. Why not 2 3pdts? The dpdt is a great idea, but that means you could never have the 2 effects on at the same time.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

billstein

If I'm getting the idea here I could see how it could be helpful. Say you have an OD and a distortion circuit in the same box. You use the OD for a rhythm crunch and the distortion for your lead. You're only hitting one switch to go between the two instead of switching one off and turning on the other.

jimilee

Quote from: billstein on March 15, 2014, 01:36:11 AM
If I'm getting the idea here I could see how it could be helpful. Say you have an OD and a distortion circuit in the same box. You use the OD for a rhythm crunch and the distortion for your lead. You're only hitting one switch to go between the two instead of switching one off and turning on the other.
I see. Sounds killer.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

DutchMF

Quote from: billstein on March 15, 2014, 01:36:11 AM

I see what you mean, but with carefull placement of the 2 stomps, you can hit only one, or both with one foot. That way you can have your cake and eat it too! Maybe this only works for people with big feet like me.....  ;)

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

aran.e666

Thanks again for so many replies ;D . Ok im not suer still how im gonna wire it as theres no diagrams for DPDT   :(

aran.e666

Another thing but I know this is stupid but whats the 'send' and 'return'  :P

aran.e666

Ok guys I just had a brainstorm and now I get it but how would I also wire another switch for true bypass?

aran.e666

Unfortunately I dont have all the parts now but I think ive figured it out. Thanks guys.... again ;D

juansolo

TH Custom do a rather funky X switch. Two stomps and as far as I can see every option you could ever want. Stomp one side on or off, when one side is on, stomp the other and it kicks over to that. Nicest way of doing it that I can see.

Deffo planning on getting some of them at some point to try (esp as I have about 10 of the relays on the way for peanuts).
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

aran.e666

m-Kresol

hi, this might help. this is how i will wire my nomojo fuzz. One true bypass on/off switch and one to select the effect. Just leave all the LED parts off.

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials