News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda... What's safe to buy there vs. what to avoid???

Started by Leevibe, March 18, 2014, 03:49:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

Same here, got a letter through the post today saying I had to pay customs charge before they deliver my package from Tayda. I'm back to work tomorrow so sods law says it turns up when I'm out.

Still, £21 tax on a $200 order isn't too bad. Even with the import tax, a big enough order of pots still makes it cheaper to get them there rather then anywhere else.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

Stomptown

Quote from: RobA on March 19, 2014, 03:52:37 PM
Quote from: aion on March 19, 2014, 01:24:08 PM
I checked it this morning and it'd be pretty tight even without the nut on the toggle switch. You could get a little bit of extra height by using an internal nut on the 9mm pot to bump it up a little, but the bushing isn't very long on those so you can't get much out of them.

The other issue is that some toggles (the ones I had on hand, anyway) have the epoxy coming partway up the lug, so if the PCB comes flush against the plastic casing, the solder might not make great contact with the lug. It'll still work fine, but it just won't be as strong a joint as if the PCB was positioned a little higher.
Thanks for taking a look. The toggles I've been looking at don't have the epoxy coming up the lug, but I checked a couple in some builds I have and they do. On top of that, I have some other toggles, made by Apem I think, that are even slightly taller in the body than the Talway or Tayda toggles. So, it gets a bit more complicated. Looks like I'll need to rethink my plans. Thanks again for looking at what you have and letting me know.

How about a mini toggle? You would have to figure out the lug spacing and create a part (or you could just use pads) but it wouldn't be too hard. They sell them at rat shack if your interested in seeing if they would work...

bassybeats

I've had an odd one with PT2399's from Tayda. When doing a Sea Urchin I had to externally connect a couple of pins. Found via this post
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7512.msg64852#msg64852

Took a while to find but they technically work.

midwayfair

Quote from: bassybeats on March 20, 2014, 01:52:28 AM
I've had an odd one with PT2399's from Tayda. When doing a Sea Urchin I had to externally connect a couple of pins. Found via this post
http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=7512.msg64852#msg64852

Took a while to find but they technically work.

That's all PT2399s, and a flaw in the Deep Blue Delay's design (which did little to correct the factory example schematic), nothing to do with Tayda's chips.

bassybeats

Ahhh thats good know. I take that back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leevibe

Ok, so I finally took the Tayda plunge. I bought a bunch of LEDs and molex connectors. It seemed like a safe purchase based on the feedback here. It was a crazy feeling having 90 items in my cart before I hit the $5 minimum! I'm kind of excited.

flanagan0718

Yeah they are good for a lot of things. And they are cheap too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HailToTheBlues

So, their J201's should be avoided? it's just that musikding is taking forever to put them back in stock, and i was thinking to order them from tayda, but since their not safe....

muddyfox

I would steer clear... the few batches I got from them varied wildly.

You could go the route of smd j201 and adapter boards? SMD J201s have all been great to me so far.

sturgeo

I popped 10 J201s on my last tayda order to see what they're like, i'll put them on my JFET matcher when i get home and post the results. Need to build a pedal to put them in!

jubal81

I've had success with their inductors, using them as chokes in the power supply. They fit in the space of a 1/4watt resistor, so it makes it easy.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

sturgeo

Ok, out of the 10 J201s, 1 was completely dead, these are the voltages using Rullywow's JFET Matcher board.

pickdropper

Quote from: sturgeo on July 03, 2014, 04:09:54 PM
Ok, out of the 10 J201s, 1 was completely dead, these are the voltages using Rullywow's JFET Matcher board.

Is that Vgs or something else?  Going from memory, I think the spec on J201s is -0.3V to -1.5V.  I am not quite sure what to make of those numbers.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sturgeo

Sorry they are Vgs, so basically, yup avoid J201s from Tayda!

pickdropper

Quote from: sturgeo on July 03, 2014, 04:55:28 PM
Sorry they are Vgs, so basically, yup avoid J201s from Tayda!

So it was positive VGS?  Not even N-Channel.  Guess their IQC department isn't doing so well.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper