News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

slambox circuit or tester or both? NOOB!

Started by UncleDave, March 28, 2011, 03:08:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleDave

I'm working on my first pedal right now. It's a slambox. I don't have the led wired in yet. i soldered leads to the ground, input, output, and 9v positive.

I built a tester but i'm wondering if i even did it right. it might just be bad wiring there or solder or something.

when I connect the tester to the circuit, it makes a a funky sound. i wouldn't say it clicks but if i were to attempt to spell out the sound i would say it goes pupupupupupupupu.

if i connect the out put to the other side of c1 it doesnt make this sound and if the same effect in the middle of q1.

sorry about the lack in knowledge on my end. i've been reading up and studing for like two weeks and just got my tester done and don't know what to think.  ???

[attachment deleted by admin]

bigmufffuzzwizz

It looks correct to me but its hard to see exactly which lug on the switch are what.
Do you have a verified working build that you can test to see if it's your tester?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

UncleDave

I don't. this is my first build. i know if i plug into the tester with no power and connect the in and output clips, it plays through perfectly fine. the only thing i can think of is it being the power/ground side of it. otherwise it's circuit connection issue or component issue.

I'll post a pic of the circuit board in a few minutes

UncleDave

i haven't fully mapped out my enclosure yet so put leads that i connected via aligators to the pot.it seemed to make a bit of difference when i turned it. only more or less pupupupu

[attachment deleted by admin]

gtr2

Is there a socket for the transistor that I don't see?  If not you could have fried the transistor...

I'm basing that on the fact that those black rings around the soldering pads mean that the board got hot from holding the soldering iron on to long.  If there was that much heat involved you certainly would cook that transistor making it inoperable.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

If you could take a little bigger/closer pic of your testing rig that would help as well.   ;)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

UncleDave

i'll take a look at the transistor and as for the pic, i'll that done a bit later today. i can use all the help i can get

gtr2

Uncle Dave,

I personally don't usually socket transistors unless they are germanium or if I know I'd like to try different different transistors with the circuit.  I do however always socket IC's, but there are none in this circuit.

I'd recommend socketing a transistor if you're just getting started soldering.  They are pretty sensitive to heat.  That way you can solder in the sockets and then plug the transistor before you test the board.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

UncleDave

Thanks dude.

Forgive my lack of knowledge(noobness),but what is socketing?

bigmufffuzzwizz

You would solder the socket instead of the component since the socket can take a lot of heat and won't be damaged. Then just insert the component how it would go into the socket holes and secure it in there tightly.

http://www.capsnsuch.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=50&product_id=150
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

UncleDave

Thanks guys. I'll have to make fry's pit stop on the way home. Always a good time. :)

CRBMoA

I am gonna suggest trimming some of the excess leads on the bottom side of the board. They are not a problem now, but those little buggers can wreak havoc when it comes time to box it up!

UncleDave

I'll do that. The longest ones though are the wire leads which I was just tapping in to test it. Planned on trimming those but I'll look at the rest too

UncleDave

Well guys, I put a socket in there and put the transistor in it.
If y'all have any further advice, let me know. In the meantime I have a secondary slambox pcb to use. I'm going to solder it with all new parts and see how the comes out

gtr2

I just looked at your testing rig a little closer.  There us a lot wrong in there...  It's hard to see in the picture but I think you have your v+ power jack wired to your output jack and then daisy chained to your input jack!  That's jacked up...  ::)

Where you have your white wire on the dc power jack is 9v+, the red wire is on the ground.  Your 9v+ should go to the board 9v+ pad and no where else.  The ground should go to the sleeve spot on the input jack and also the ground pad on the board.

To fix this just leave the red wire as is and clip it to your ground pad wire to the board.
Desolder/cut the white wire off everything, this should not be wire to the 1/4" jacks, then take a new piece and solder it to the same lug as the white wire was on the power jack.  Then clip it to the 9v in wire...  Here is a helpful picture to keep in mind when wiring power jacks.

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=93

Sorry I didn't catch that sooner but it is hard with a small picture...

Josh

Edit:  It is also helpful until you get a firm grasp on things to use black wire for ground and red wire for positive.  Once you're comfortable do whatever floats your boat ;)
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer