News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Positive Ground and DC Brick Powering.

Started by Jipo, March 29, 2014, 10:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jipo

So I've got a few extra cords from my DC brick and a range master that I love hitting my ac30 with.  I hate batteries though, like despise them, they work perfect until I need the thing, then I never think about having spares because I'm that guy so I just rage instead.  But anyways I'm wondering if one end were to be cut off and then wired to either a male 9v snap or just hard wired to the board properly(backwards) would that work?

RobA

Quote from: Jipo on March 29, 2014, 10:15:24 AM
So I've got a few extra cords from my DC brick and a range master that I love hitting my ac30 with.  I hate batteries though, like despise them, they work perfect until I need the thing, then I never think about having spares because I'm that guy so I just rage instead.  But anyways I'm wondering if one end were to be cut off and then wired to either a male 9v snap or just hard wired to the board properly(backwards) would that work?

I assume by DC brick you mean the Dunlop DC brick. In that case, no it won't work. The DC Brick's taps aren't isolated and that would cause a dead short from power to ground.

If you have a power supply that has isolated power taps, then you can do this. But, you need to be very sure that the taps are actually isolated.

The above mentioned RoadRage is a really good way to handle this situation. I have one RangeMaster build where I do this. It is also very easy to do a PNP Range Master with the circuit redone so that you can use a normal +9V to power it. There are several schematics out there that show how to do it. I've got one done this way too and it works perfectly.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Jipo

Yeah I'm ordering some, I figured that was the proper route but wanted to ask prior.  Makes sense on the Iso vs non.  I'm getting impatient on the restocks and sick of batteries, and if you've ever used the normal channel cranked on a ac30 its unacceptable with a treble boost.  Thanks guys.