News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

...And another...Refractor

Started by Jabulani Jonny, April 05, 2014, 02:23:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

So yeah, I've had a lot of requests for these from guys at church and friends I play with.  I'm happy to oblige.  I built three of these with the same finish, but the other two are out the door.  This one is actually replacing the one on my board, partly because I wanted top mount jacks and partly because a buddy at church bought the other one off my board.  Works for me. 

Anyway, I posted a while back, when I was painting these enclosures, how much I hate painting enclosures because of all the paint mishaps.  For these three enclosures the paint wrinkled on the second coat and really ticked me off.  So I figured, why not go with it and do a Rej distress look to 'em.  That's just what happened and I'm pleased with how they turned out.  I can't wait for my buddy in Birmingham to receive his, I think this is right up his alley. 

At any rate, just another klone.  Blah blah blah. 

Jonathan

flanagan0718

Nice build man! I like the distressed paint.

Leevibe

GrindCustoms

Nice! You've nailed the sanding really well, even the lid!  8)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: flanagan0718 on April 05, 2014, 03:05:49 AM
Nice build man! I like the distressed paint.

Oh, and I completely forgot to give MAJOR thanks to Flanagan who provided the TL072's on short notice so I could finish these before I head out of town.  Thanks a ton dude.  Seriously. 

For these I used this Valspar Flat Clear spray paint I got at Lowe's.  This stuff is awesome.  Makes for a nice thick, flat finish, where you don't want gloss.  Doesn't run and dries very quickly.  Only $4.  Highly recommend and I'll be using this again.     
Jonathan

nzCdog

Love the look man, really into that grungy paint finishing.  Killer build. 

flanagan0718

QuoteMAJOR thanks to Flanagan who provided the TL072's on short notice so I could finish these before I head out of town.  Thanks a ton dude.  Seriously. 
Glad to see they went to good use!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billstein

Great looking build. I've done the same thing when the paint messed up. Just beat it up for being a bad boy.

I like the jacks on top. Just another excuse to build another one. I never understood the hype about the Klon until I built one, my favorite OD so far. I have a feeling there will always be one on my pedal board.

evildead222

KAKAW! KAKAW! thats all I have to say. 

Jabulani Jonny

Quote from: evildead222 on April 07, 2014, 03:00:33 AM
KAKAW! KAKAW! thats all I have to say.

Yeah, these were inspired by The Black Crowes.  The graphic seemed to fit. 

Quote from: billstein on April 06, 2014, 06:58:47 AM
I like the jacks on top. Just another excuse to build another one. I never understood the hype about the Klon until I built one, my favorite OD so far. I have a feeling there will always be one on my pedal board.

I know some people don't like 'em, and this is not to start another discussion (good lord, ad nauseum), but I love this tone.  Set the gain about 11 and the volume about 12-1, treble about 2.  Man, that is a sweet sparkling OD right there. 

All of my drive pedals are Jacks-on-top so I can have them side by side.  My modulation pedals haven't made it that far, only because I have a couple commercial pedals sprinkled in. 
Jonathan

jimilee

Love everything about it. Top mounts are excellent too
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peAk

I love the distressed look as well

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings