News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mammoth.. Underwhelmed

Started by Meowy, April 06, 2011, 07:44:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

After watching the PGS demo of the SWAW I have to say that is an awesome pedal. The BYOC auto wah I built kinda does one thing but the SWAW has soo many tone options. Or maybe its cause he played a Dead song in the demo  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Higgie

Quote from: Higgie on July 19, 2011, 05:40:48 PM
Quote from: Higgie on July 18, 2011, 11:32:28 PM
Went and picked up my Kits from the depot today and must say I'm impressed. The finishes on the pedals look great - A little rough round the edges of the holes but that will all be covered by knobs/jacks/switches so that's not a big deal to me.

I bought an OCD and Snow White Auto Wah kit. Wired up the OCD already and it sounds great. Only problem I have with it is the LED doesn't light! I tested it by probing with a battery snap and a 9v and it lights up, and I've tested my continuity in the circuit and it's all fine. Yet when I turn the pedal on, it sounds great, but no LED. Really stumped here!

I do have the crappest soldering Iron in the world though, so I'm gonna invest in a decent one before I attempt the Auto Wah!

All in all - Positive experience from Mammoth. I had to pay customs duty when they arrived (which is a bit of a shame as it pretty much negated me taking advantage of the sale) but other than that, I'm very happy. Thanks Blake!

Following up on my previous post - I just had a look at the SWAW kit just to make sure everything is there, and something pretty crucial to the build is missing - The PCB! I'm gonna get in contact with Blake now...

Still haven't heard anything from Mammoth and I emailed on the 19th. Anyone else had problems contacting Blake?
Bass Player and Pedal Enthusiast :)

aziltz

i haven't had any reasons or issues to contact them about.  I like their selection, and I believe their enclosures are pre-powder coated, and available for immediate shipment, unlike PPP

Haberdasher

The only time I had a problem with Mammoth was for a few missing parts.  I emailed them and heard back quickly.  The parts were shipped out to me at no cost so I was satisfied with the way they conducted business.

The missing pcb with no response is a little disconcerting but it's probably just some sort of delay.  If they are waiting to be re-supplied with the boards they should at least let you know.  I would definitely re-email them and ask for an explanation.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

You hear anything on that pcb Higgie.  I tried contacting them with an issue and have heard no response.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gflobe

Won't order from mammouth again. Shipping is outrageous compared to other sights. From my order, seven of the knobs I ordered either did not fit or were missing screws, one broken pot, two broken 3pdt, I ordered a PNP transistor and got a NPN, two of the six LED's were bad, resistors mis labled on bags (220 ohm in with a 1M). I am sure others have had better/worse experiences, but as far as I am concered, I  will stick with other suppliers.

gflobe

Quote from: gtr2 on July 25, 2011, 08:09:59 PM
I don't want to this to turn into a bashing thread, but.....

I've ordered more than once from them and each time I've had either scratched & undercoated enclosures and/or missing parts.  They kinda made it right by replacing the missing parts.  But now they aren't responding and righting the orders...  Before, they were beyond fast with their response.

The thread title says it all.  I'm done for good with em...

It does not have to be a bashing thread, but it could serve as a warning to other prospective customers to shop there at their own risk.

chip46

I've actually ordered from them a couple times and never had a problem. This was about a month ago. Still there isn't much they have that other places don't, though I do like their enclosure prices. I ordered unfinished enclosures and they were great.

cjkbug

the knobs are kinda cheap. but there $.68 each!!! so there isn't much to complain about. and anytime you buy a $3.50 stomp switch, it's gonna suck. but on the whole, I think mammoth is as good as futurelec or tayda.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

greyscales

I ordered some things last week, but won't be home until this weekend to see how everything turns out.
If nothing else, shipping was speedy.

Higgie

Quote from: gtr2 on July 25, 2011, 07:09:22 PM
You hear anything on that pcb Higgie.  I tried contacting them with an issue and have heard no response.

Re-Sent my email today - still nothing. Will post here when I hear back from them.

gtr2

hmm...maybe they all went on holiday  ;)

EDIT: I have heard from Mammoth and they righted the order.  I'd still like them to improve their quality control on finished enclosures.  That's my beef...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Higgie

Yeah just heard back from them myself, they are shipping the PCB out today.

greyscales

So I finally got home to check my Mammoth order.

Everything seems to be right, I'll have to double check tomorrow when I'm not so exhausted from travel.
I bought three enclosures, painted and drilled, and they all look pretty good. They do drill after powdercoating, so the edges of the holes aren't perfect. But that won't matter with the knobs on them.

They packed almost everything in separate baggies by part value. A couple things would get put together if it didn't make a difference, like knobs and battery snaps. But everything else, resistors, caps, diodes, transistors, etc..., were put in small baggies.
So overall, it is very efficient, speedy, and seems to be well put together.

Higgie

Just thought I'd update everyone: Blake shipped out the PCB to me very quickly, with no questions asked. Good service. I'll be happy to shop there again - I don't mind the odd mistake as long as it's rectified quickly and efficiently, both of which, Blake managed to fulfill. Happy customer here.