News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Ship in a Bottle Fuzz -- I guarantee you this one's unique!

Started by midwayfair, May 04, 2014, 08:10:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

Close-up of the board:

This is a fuzz made with all-glass components. Well, except for that power-filtering cap, but electros simply don't exist in glass that I've ever been able to find. :)

I've wanted to build this forever, but the resistors were almost impossible to get and are extremely expensive when the do pop up. Govt Lackey (Greg) was incredibly generous and hooked me up with enough to make a few pedals with -- most importantly with a few almost-impossible-to-find 500K resistors.

The capacitors are actually glass-encased SMD components that someone on BYOC posted about recently. This was really the final kicker, because it meant that I could do everything in glass instead of my original plan, which was to use metal caps (and probably metal transistors).

Since I had such a limited range of components, I had to design a new circuit. I'll post a small build thread with the demo in a moment, with the caveat that the project could probably use some refinement when using "real" components.

Oh, I forgot my note about the art, because I really liked it: I wanted a combination of faux 3D and two-dimensional cartoonishness for the ship itself. I thought it came out really well. I showed it to a friend who then asked if I could do something similar for his duo's EP cover! That was kind of neat.

culturejam

Glad to see thing thing materialize. Can't wait to see the circuit.  :)
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Thomas_H

Thats a crazy build!
And it needs a transparent bottom plate!
DIY-PCBs and projects:

selfdestroyer

Jon, looks like you finally found all the glass resistors you were looking for. I have been keeping my eye out for some ever since you asked about them. I have never seen any up close before but they look awesome. Beautiful looking pedal and I was listening to your video in the Members Tutorial section and it sounds great.

Cody

nzCdog

woah thats crazy... those glass components looks very cool
lovely art jon, nice theme in and out ;D

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Leevibe

That is so stinking cool. I would love to see a version in an acrylic box!! But that art is rad too!

midwayfair

Quote from: Leevibe on May 04, 2014, 11:37:37 PM
acrylic box!

I think everyone needs to remember that a lack of shielding in a fuzz is less than optimal.

Plus drilling acrylic is a total PITA.

Not to mention that the circuit board would be facing the floor in any case. ;)

sonarchotic

That does look super cool! No opera singers in your band though ;D

alanp

"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

lincolnic

I said this in the other thread and I'll say it here: you wonderful maniac.  :)

peAk

Clayford

head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded