News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Round Two: Slow Loris

Started by tenwatt, April 11, 2011, 07:26:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tenwatt

Taking a break from the Egodriver and trying a Slow Loris.  I've got a couple questions.

1.) C7 is a 4.7uf, 25W.  I have a 35V.  That's okay right?

2.) Where do I hook up the foot switch?

3.) For C9 I ended up with the cap pictured below.  On the diagram, C9 doesn't look polarized.  This cap is.  Can I use it?  If so, what side does the long lead go on?

Not too bright....

petesz

Quote from: tenwatt on April 11, 2011, 07:26:15 PM
Taking a break from the Egodriver and trying a Slow Loris.  I've got a couple questions.

1.) C7 is a 4.7uf, 25W.  I have a 35W.  That's okay right?

2.) Where do I hook up the foot switch?

3.) For C9 I ended up with the cap pictured below.  On the diagram, C9 doesn't look polarized.  This cap is.  Can I use it?  If so, what side does the long lead go on?

1) I think you mean 35V and yes that is ok, anything over 25v will work.
2) The standardised wiring diagram is at the top right of the projects page: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf
3) C9 is a non-polarised film cap. I wouldnt suggest using the electrolytic, im actually not sure if it would work or not as C9.. Might need someone else to chip in on that one? Generally though the negative side (with the stripe on it) goes to ground.

k.rock!

I don't think there would be a problem to use that cap...my best guess would be to place the negative pin (stripped side) with lug 3 on the 100K pot. On your PCB it would have the negative strip facing the inside of the PCB. If I'm mistaken somebody please fix my suggestion haha  :D or back me up if anybody thinks the same? :P

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

3. Yes you can, but I recommend a film cap personally. If you have an 820nf film cap, that would work too. If you don't, I'm sure someone here can mail you one. I will, but I'm in Canada so it takes a while to get to you.

If you do use that polarized cap, positive is on the right, negative on left. The negative goes toward the pot.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

tenwatt

Our local Radio Shack has a 1uf 250V.  I guess that'll have to do.
Not too bright....

jkokura

It'll probably be quite large. If it's got 5 or 7mm lead spacing you'll be fine.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

tenwatt

Quote from: jkokura on April 11, 2011, 08:24:08 PMIf you do use that polarized cap, positive is on the right, negative on left. The negative goes toward the pot.
I thought the longer lead with the grey strip is always positive on a polarized cap.

*EDIT*
You're saying on the PCB that the negative lead sould be on the left...correct?  I miss understood.  Thanx!
Not too bright....

tenwatt

I'm having a ton of trouble finding the 1uf, 25V cap.  I was wanting to pick up that and a 4u7, 25V from the same place.  Anyone have any ideas?
Not too bright....

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'm glad your giving it another go! Once you get a few builds under your belt your gonna be very satisfied.

There's many places you can buy both at the same time. Tayda Electronics will have both and it will be about $1.50 w/ shipping included. The only problem with them is they don't have box film caps so you'll have to order a mylar film cap(greenies/red). They also will ship relativity fast. You could also get these from Pedals Parts Plus, Smallbear, Effects Connection, and more than likely caps n' such. If you need help locating the items on any of those sites I can help you.  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Also I forgot to add, if your gonna order from Tayda I would recommend ordering extra components. The 2 pieces you need will total 8 cents so why not stock up. You can order 1000 resistors from them and the shipping will only go up from $0.99 to about $1.29 so its a perfect opportunity. I stocked up when I ordered and my total came out to about $30 w/ shipping included.
Another thing to check out is Tayda's pots. They are only about 55 cents a piece and they come w/ a plastic shield covering the back (like barrys pot condoms but not as cool!!) so they won't short. The downside(for some) is they aren't the pots w/ solder lugs, they are board mountable pots. I use them just the same and haven't had any problems w/ them. Mammoths pots aren't even that cheap if you were to buy enough to get the best price break!  :)
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

Don't worry so much about the voltage of your cap. You could use a 2500v cap if you wanted. The impotent element is that the voltage rating is higher than the expected voltage used. If your going to only use 9v, then use a 10v or higher cap.

25v is recommended because it's very rare to have a supply that uses more than 24v. Most of my caps are rated at 50v, 63v, or 100v. I have some 16, 25 and 35 caps, but not many anymore.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

tenwatt

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 12, 2011, 11:03:11 AM
I'm glad your giving it another go! Once you get a few builds under your belt your gonna be very satisfied.

There's many places you can buy both at the same time. Tayda Electronics will have both and it will be about $1.50 w/ shipping included. The only problem with them is they don't have box film caps so you'll have to order a mylar film cap(greenies/red). They also will ship relativity fast. You could also get these from Pedals Parts Plus, Smallbear, Effects Connection, and more than likely caps n' such. If you need help locating the items on any of those sites I can help you.  :)
I had already checked Small Bear, Pedal Parts Plus, and Mammoth to no avail.  I just checked Tayda and didn't see the 1uF.  Effects Connection's database is down. 

Will the mylar vs. box cap make much of an audible difference?
Not too bright....

jkokura

The simple answer?

Maybe.

There are 1uF non polarized caps in several places at Smallbear. The Topmay box caps is what I recommend. Want me just to mail you one?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

tenwatt

Quote from: jkokura on April 12, 2011, 01:05:55 PMThere are 1uF non polarized caps in several places at Smallbear. The Topmay box caps is what I recommend. Want me just to mail you one?

Jacob
Uggggg!  I was searching for 1uF on their site.  I just noticed that they use mF.  1mF is the same as 1uF, right?
Not too bright....

jkokura

not really, but for the purpose that smallbear uses, yes. If you are looking for a part on Smallbear, it is much better to use the catagories and then find the part you need page by page rather than using the search function. The search function at Smallbear is fairly limited - you can use it for part titles but you have to be specific.

For example. You could search "BC 550" and come up with nothing, but searching for "BC550" you'd get a part.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*