News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

STM800 2 Clips, For the Metulz!

Started by GrindCustoms, June 01, 2014, 09:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

Yo!

Finally been able to complete this project, that was suppose to be my entry for the MadBean spring contest. After a ebay dispute for caps, i finally got those damn filtering caps! :lol:

This is litterally a JCM800 pre-amp in a box, all of the badassery to be honest, i think i've never been so happy and impressed by the outcome of a pedal project so far. 2 hours ago i A/B'd it versus a Ceriatione JCM800 clone, Pedal going in a 6L6 100watt power amp.

Other than the difference in tone of the power section, the pedal as the same exact tone print than the amp. Did the test at my good friend «Audeath» rehearsal/studio room, owner of the Ceri. We where both equally undershock by the results.

So it's built upon Juansolo/Marauder STM800 schematic and fettled Nixie tube PSU setup wich provide a strong 190V to the tube plates. Would also like to thank John and Cleggy for the help about the problems i thought i had with the PSU, but that i had'nt... ...'nyway! lml

LOTS of pics, hope some of you enjoy 3D PTP construction... :wink:

The idea

Drilled and Painted enclosure

Installed most of the hardware and ground bus

Input Stage complete.

Power filtering and Input jack relocated, miscalculated the space taken by the PSU... :roll:

Blurry..

Tone Stack and Output complete

PSU dropped in, all power connection made, getting the voltages needed everywhere. FX In and Input Jack left to be wired.

FX In and Input Jack wired, using the teflon shielded wire, best stuff ever! 8)

The Final!

I'm probably the only other person other than John/Cleggy that have built this and few that have heard it, but it's an awesome piece of pedal to rock!

Cheers!

Rej

-Shameless Promotion-
In a partnership with Juansolo/Marauder, GCFX will produce a serie of Tube based project running at high voltages, there's lots of stuff in the pipeline at the moment but this will probably be the first layout to be released with the PSU pcb, for modular use of these.

CLIP

Based on JuansoloEffects STM800

Uses a 9V power supply and convert to 190V to the tube plates.

Input tube is a RCA 12AX7 GreyPlate, output is a JJ ECC83S.

Output of pedal goes directly to FX Return of Mesa MarkIV that is in Full power, ClassA and Triode power mode. Only the EQ is still active on the amp, mids are flat, boosted a little the highs and low.

It was quite loud when recording, so it clips at some moments, sorry about that.

MJW Telecaster w/BKP Miracle Man Alnico was used to record the loop.

And looking at this.... i think i've wired my treble pot the opposite way... or it's interacting with the middle pot in a strange manner, but it still gives the goods i think.

For the Metulz!!!

Run directly into Mesa MarkIV power amp in SimulClass mode.

Black/White pedal is a Compressor

Green knob is a YATS

Blue one knob, NoiseGate

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

lincolnic

Dude, incredible. And you're going to be releasing this as a project? You are awesome.

jubal81

That is some magnificent shit. Really just spectacular.
Layouts you say? I'm getting excited.

EDIT: We must have sound  ;D
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

alanp

Very, very cool :)

But the thought of having to work on that, WITHOUT knowing who made it or wtf it is (beyond a tube based distortion) makes me feel ill.

But it is very cool!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

That's so frikkin badass!
Tube voltages scare the bejezus out of me, so even more filled-diapers propz from me!

selfdestroyer

Damn, the bar has been raised again.

You guys are just simply getting crazy with these builds. Great work Rej and sorry it did not make it in the contest.

Cody

juansolo

Hell yeah!  8)

The 2nd STM800 (v2) in existence!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

LaceSensor

GrindCustoms

Thanks guys! :D

I'll try to make a decent crap clip of it this afternoon, thing is quite powerfull... it will be LOUD!

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

wgc

always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Wow Rej, that is awesome.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

midwayfair

Got to the picture after the ground buss and was like ... "No way is he going to PTP a Marshall preamp in a pedal? And then you did. Looks amazing, Rej.

marauder

Quote from: juansolo on June 02, 2014, 01:19:31 AM
Hell yeah!  8)

Third, the first one is in Phil's V-Twin enclosure.

That's amazing Rej, I think I'll stick with the tagboard layouts rather than PTP.

GrindCustoms

Thanks a bunch guys :) Can't wait to get that project more accessible to everyone, yes it enters the «costier» project to make, but the satisfaction when firing up... is among the best DIY «fix» i ever had.

Quote from: midwayfair on June 02, 2014, 05:58:10 AM
Got to the picture after the ground buss and was like ... "No way is he going to PTP a Marshall preamp in a pedal? And then you did. Looks amazing, Rej.

Thanks Jon, gotta say that this is my 4th or 5th tube built in «3D PTP»,  still is that these are the most stressfull to power up. Everythng needs to be spot-on otherwise well... ...you're fuck'd and troubleshooting is a serious PITA.

You rock the PTP possibly better than me, you should give a go at something in the like, it's really rewarding personnally.

Cheers

Rej

Quote from: marauder on June 02, 2014, 11:53:41 AM
Quote from: juansolo on June 02, 2014, 01:19:31 AM
Hell yeah!  8)

Third, the first one is in Phil's V-Twin enclosure.

That's amazing Rej, I think I'll stick with the tagboard layouts rather than PTP.

Thanks Cleggy, for the layout and answering my stupid questions :)

I wanted to build it on tagboard first, 'cause i got some really nice «RS style» strips from  a UK amp builder but it was'nt fitting in my enclosure layout.

And yeah... 1590BB was a bit adventurous for this type of project, a 1590XX or 1790NS like you guys used is way more appropriate.

Finishing my 1watt power amp this afternoon, took a nap after i sent you the email concerning the OT... might jump on the BBBT after wich i beleive John told me the schem had got a revision, dunno if you've sent me the latest version yet.

Anyway, i'm getting back to you via email.

Thanks again for all your help and quantum physics madness, your rock! 8)

MarcFive

Oh Lordy, sound clip please.