News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TS808, losing level...

Started by camsna, April 15, 2011, 02:09:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camsna

I didn't know where to post this. If it's in the wrong place, I humbly beseech one of our FINE mods to relocate it appropriately. Here's the deal!

I have a Keeley TS808 and it seems to be losing output level. It used to give me quite a volume bump when engaged (as expected) but NOW, I DIME the volume control and it's quieter than the bypassed signal.

With my newly acquired DIY skills (embarrassingly limited though they are) to fix it myself. Where should I start looking? I'm thinking I'll start with the IC...

stecykmi

rule out the obvious stuff first before you go digging around in there. stuff like powered properly (ie 9v), proper solder connections, knobs/trim pots in reasonable positions, nothing shorting to ground or the enclosure

camsna

Quote from: stecykmi on April 15, 2011, 03:48:36 PM
rule out the obvious stuff first before you go digging around in there. stuff like powered properly (ie 9v), proper solder connections, knobs/trim pots in reasonable positions, nothing shorting to ground or the enclosure

Thanks! I'm inclined to believe that those are all fine. That is, I KNOW the power is good (PP2+ and battery). And the I have no reason to believe that any trimmers have moved or solder joints have broken, or that anything is shorting (I've NEVER opened it up and risked braking anything, it's always worked fine, volume seems to be getting lower and lower, etc.).

But, now that I think of it...it MIGHT be power...hmm...I have daisy-chained one PP2+ tap to power a few pedals, but everything on the chain (couple of ODs and distortions) requires something like 2 - 10ma. Should be WELL below the 100ma that output provides. But that just might be it. Hmmmmmm. I DID plug a new pedal into that chain last night, which might be drawing enough current to choke out the TS808. Though, all the other pedals on that power chain worked perfectly...Time to whip out the meter, I suppose!