News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Voxy Wiring Help Requested

Started by das234, June 12, 2014, 11:26:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

das234

Jason has been assisting me with boxing up my Voxy Brown but I've got a problem I thought I throw out to everyone.  I've got it boxed up and I believe I followed his wiring diagram. 

The LEDs work but I have no sound, even in bypass.  Yes, it worked before boxing. 

I wasn't sure if I had the correct lug on the in and out jacks connected (they're not labeled on the diagram) so I switched them and that didn't work either.  One way I get a buzz and the other way I get nothing.

I took a picture if anyone can help me out.  I suspect it's something simple that I'm missing.

jubal81

Looks like you need to swap the wires on the in/out jacks.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

artstomp

..i think this is the way to do it..

das234

Ok.  So, go to the tip instead of the sleeve and add ground wires from the center pins to the sleeves.  I'll give it a whirl.  Oh, and I like how you matched the colors of my randomly selected wire!  :)

das234

So, I switched the wires to match artstomp's diagram.  Ran the green wires to the tips and added white ground wires from the center 3dpt lugs to the sleeves.    I still get no bypass signal.  I also don't get the drive channel by itself.  The boost side works fine and the boost+drive works.  I checked both switches with DMM and they have continuity where they should.  Not sure what to check next.

das234

I have to bump this because I've been staring at this thing and it seems like it should work, but it doesn't. Any fresh eyes to help me fix it?

jubal81

1) Can you post a new pic?
2) Do you have an audio probed rigged up?

First thing is to follow each wire and make sure nothing is grounded that shouldn't be.

Edit: ANother thing to check that got me at the beginning was the jacks making contact with the box and grounded the signal.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

das234

Here is a new pic after I revised the wiring to match artstomp's diagram.  Upon further review, there is actually some barely audible signal coming through on bypass if I crank the amp all the way and also on drive channel alone.  The boost channel seems fine and boost plus drive seems fine.

I checked and the tip lugs on the jacks aren't making contact with the enclosure.  Just for kicks I tried disconnecting the ground wire from the output jack sleeve to the switch (because I usually only ground the input jack sleeve) and the problem persists.

Unfortunately, when I switched my test box out of the old cigar box into an old pedal enclosure I didn't get the audio probed hooked up so it's not at my disposal right now.

jubal81

Wiring looks right to me. Even if the effect isn't working you should at least have bypass signal. The culprit is most likely a signal net making contact to ground or a faulty switch. You have to be careful with those blue 3PDTs because if you get them too hot with the soldering iron they can melt inside and lose contact.

First thing to do is get out your DMM and check for continuity. With the switches in bypass, all these contact points circled in red should be connected AND should NOT be connected to ground.

- David Fair

das234

Good news- I already did those continuity tests so I actually figured something out on my own.  I didn't find anything but I just double checked and found the little jumper on the boost switch depended on where I put the probe.  So I resoldered the bad lug and SUCCESS!  It sounds better now than I even remembered.

Thanks for the project and the help getting it going.  I still have to add the knobs but here's a sneak preview...

jubal81

Aha! Success! That's great news and a really great looking pedal. I'm really digging the vintage amp look.
- David Fair

artstomp

..good to know you fixed it...glad to be of a little help...and kudos to Jubal he walk you all the way...by the way good looking pedal!