News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Sunking Volume Question

Started by MullisMan, April 18, 2011, 10:25:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MullisMan

I searched through the cornucopia of Sunking topics, but I didn't see my particular problem.  My problem is, I have an over abundance of volume.  My volume knob isn't even at 9 o' clock and i'm a little above unity gain.  Pedal sounds great and everything works, the volume knob is just really sensitive.  It overdrives the heck out of my amp anywhere above the 10 o' clock range.

I also have a sunking pedal that I built for a friend and he's returned it to me after doing some "custom work" on it.  Not too happy about that, but oh well.  The problem with that pedal is that the gain pot isn't doing anything, and I'm really only getting a slight volume boost with the volume control turned up all the way up.  I need to have a closer look at the voltage levels on the IC's but everything looked ok when I checked it a few days ago.  Does anybody have a quick suggestion on what could be wrong?  I.E. gain pot, specific part that could cause that problem?

I know that's pretty general, but I'm just putting it out there in case anybody else has experienced the same problem.

sgmezei

On my sunking I have noticed the exact same thing with the volume knob. I have it between 9 and 10'oclock and its very loud (past unity). So I am not sure if this is normal or what. I love the sound of mine so I just assumed that I made it so completely badass and powerful......

or I made a similiar mistake as you ;)

jkokura

I too have lots of gain.

One of the features of the Centaur is that it does have a lot of gain (volume) on tap. It's supposed to be an excellent clean boost as well. I've also noticed that the gain and volume knobs are fairly interactive as well, turning the gain all the way down makes my unity more around 10:30-11, but bring the gain up a bit makes unity more around 9:30-10 on mine.

If you really need to adjust this, switch in a A10K pot. This should make unity more around 12-1 o'clock, and will likely give you lots of volume quickly towards 3-5 o'clock.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

MullisMan

Thanks.  I thought it would be as simple as swapping out the volume pot, but wanted to be sure.  Thanks!

Jeremy

Liam

I've built two of these, both now have audio taper on the volume pots.  Jacob, that's uncanny, unity gain is indeed between 12 and 1 O'Clock.  And yes, the pedal is far more usable like this.

Liam

jkokura

No, not uncanny, just experience.

Glad it's working well for you.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

sgmezei

That sounds great, thanks for the help Jacob.