News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Russian Germaniums?

Started by JakeFuzz, April 19, 2011, 01:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigmufffuzzwizz

This could've been really useful. There's always next time!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

JakeFuzz

Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on April 20, 2011, 09:40:40 PM
This could've been really useful. There's always next time!

He sold the whole lot to one person. It was a really good price too @ less than a dollar for each piece! Maybe I shouldn't have been so picky, of course they may have all been duds! Yeah I will continue the search. A UK based components supplier quoted me $14 per each untested Mullard OC140! Yikes.

cjkbug

"orpheaus" is the bulgarian suppliers id on ebay. he lists the specs for the transistors individually.
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

FredGarvin

I just purchased a quantity of 100, GT308B for $38.00 bones plus shipping. I'm hoping these will fair better because of their age, 1990. And, if they don't, no sweat. I've spent more on beer an pretzels! :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Germanium-PNP-Transistors-GT308B-USSR-1990-QTY-100-/310319330642?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4840793552

slimtriggers

I've heard good things about elebcz on Ebay.  I haven't bought anything from him yet, though. 

JakeFuzz

Quote from: slimtriggers on May 18, 2011, 01:33:22 AM
I've heard good things about elebcz on Ebay.  I haven't bought anything from him yet, though. 

Hmm that guy look interesting. He has NKT275's for 14 bucks. That's not too bad for a matched set of 2N404's.

cjkbug

Quote from: JakeFuzz on May 18, 2011, 08:24:19 AM

Hmm that guy look interesting. He has NKT275's for 14 bucks. That's not too bad for a matched set of 2N404's.
those are newmarket transistors. the reports are that they do not sound anything like the originals. can't tell if they sound good or bad, just different. I think those are the transistors in the reissue ff's that dunlop put out.

night-B

I'm bidding on a hundred 2n404 from a great german seller.
If I win I'll give you some if you want (I'll never use 100 in my life  ::) )

stecykmi

Quote from: cjkbug on May 18, 2011, 09:25:24 AM

those are newmarket transistors. the reports are that they do not sound anything like the originals. can't tell if they sound good or bad, just different. I think those are the transistors in the reissue ff's that dunlop put out.

I think analogman uses nkt's in his sunface FF clones. They can't be that bad.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Analogman does use NKT275's in his sunface clone but I'm sure they are NOS ones. I've also heard the transistors used in the Dunlop FF reissues are new production NKT's that do not match the originals in sound. It's a shame the germ world can be so deceptive.

JakeFuzz

Quote from: night-B on May 18, 2011, 09:31:27 AM
I'm bidding on a hundred 2n404 from a great german seller.
If I win I'll give you some if you want (I'll never use 100 in my life  ::) )

Yeah man, Ill buy some of those off of you. Let me know when you get them.

night-B

cjkbug

Quote from: stecykmi on May 18, 2011, 10:21:13 AM
Quote from: cjkbug on May 18, 2011, 09:25:24 AM

I think analogman uses nkt's in his sunface FF clones. They can't be that bad.

he uses nos nkt's. which of some he's completely out. thay ar not the same. they are much more expensive and rare.  I didn't say the new production ones  were bad. they are just different and shouldn't be confused with original nkt's. I would be dissappointed if I thought I bought the real deal and got modern repros.

bigmufffuzzwizz

JakeFuzz

Quote from: night-B on May 18, 2011, 03:04:05 PM
If you wanna know my favorite retailer : minifux1
Here's the deal, I'm the best bidder actually :
http://cgi.ebay.fr/100-of-2N404-germanium-transistors-/380340274397?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&hash=item588e0c04dd

Sweet, thanks! No wonder I didn't come across his store earlier, meine deutsch ist nicht so gut!