News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My New Vice? (whisky)

Started by chromesphere, July 15, 2014, 01:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pickdropper

I agree with Jon's recommendation of Oban 14.  It's a wonderfully smooth single malt.  It used to be a bargain, but it's gotten a bit spendier the last few years.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chromesphere

I raided my friends whisky cabinet on the weekend.  He has quite a few.  Most are in storage at the moment, but he still managed to gather around 10 different whiskies. He sorted them in order of drinkability and peatness.  It was quite a eye opener. 

I think at this point peat is something that will take me some time to grow accustomed to.  It can be quite overpowering! Talisker was ok, I could drink that regularly without too much trouble.   Lagavulin was so peaty I could swear I was tasting it even 2 hours later, after only a mouthful! I don't think I could drink that one regularly (yet). Some of the 'beginner' whiskies were actually my preference, appropriately.  Glenlivet being one of them.  I was suprised this popular whisky was very nice, to my undeveloped palate at least. We tasted so many I've actually forgotten the others lol.

Just for fun we had some Jonny walker red.  Again, I was surprised that I could identify how bitter and...even 'dirty' it tasted.  Definitely gained appreciation for the others after tasting it which was what i was hoping for.

Oh yeah he also had some bushmill (irish whisky).  It was decent but i found there wasn't much event.  It was sort of sterile taste-wise.  Could easily drink it as a regular though.

After our tasting session, I feel that I have definitely gained a better understanding of whiskies in general and am now able to identify some of the more obvious flavours.  I would say that my Spey River is a bit on the sweet side and apple-ly where as Old Pulteney is a bit more savory / salty and complex.  I like both of these. I think because they are only lightly peated also helps.

I think "next bottle" (god help me) will probably be Glenlivet, after i check with my friend which others i liked of course!

Anyway, just thought i would update the thread with my latest adventures in the world of hard liquor. :)

I should probably also state, i don't actually drink much.  I have been drinking a fair bit of whisky later as its freezing cold here, but general I would say i would drink averaged out over the year, 1 beverage a month.  Seriously, that little.  Just incase you thought i was an alco :D
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

ggarms

I don't know paul, last time I ordered from you I ended up with a bunch of bottlecaps and a letter that said sorry..... I think you clearly have a problem!  ;)

chromesphere

It went to a good cause!  Deadening the harshness of reality.  I prob shouldn't joke, there are people out there that struggle with alcoholism. 

Anyway, FOR THE RECORD, despite what this thread would suggest, im not one of them :)

peAk

Very cool and interesting thread.

That being said, I hate whiskey and that's a good thing. I already drink too much wine and beer as it is.

"Definitely DON'T need to acquire a taste for whiskey", says my liver.

peterc

Funny aside yesterday....

My 2 1/2 year-old came to me with a grimace on his face and tears in his eyes, and said "me no lik" in his best small voice. On further investigation, turns out he had had a sip from my glass of Glenmorangie that I had left on the table when I went into the kitchen. Guess it is an acquired taste.....
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

sturgeo

I'm normally more of a fan of the Speyside single malts to the other regions. I've never understood the hype of blends, bourbons and tennessee whiskeys (anyone know why the spelling difference?) although i suppose something is needed for mixers!

My brother got me a bottle of Old Pulteney for christmas and its up there with my favourites, very smooth.

A friends dad gave us something cask strength, i can't remember exactly what it was but once i've finished some of the other bottles i may treat myself.

I've got a 18 YO Glenfiddich i bought a few years back sat unopened, i need something to happen to justify opening it!

Scruffie

Strathisla 12 year single malt is my tipple of choice, I don't bother with tasting notes but I do like a good whisky.
Works at Lectric-FX

chromesphere

Quote from: sturgeo on July 21, 2014, 12:51:34 PM
(anyone know why the spelling difference?)

Apparently it was Irelands way of differentiating themselves from Scottish whisky, so they added the 'e'. 

Oh you have to watch this doco.  Not just interesting about origins of whisky but also Scotland in general:

RobA

Quote from: chromesphere on July 21, 2014, 11:51:06 PM
[...]
Oh you have to watch this doco.  Not just interesting about origins of whisky but also Scotland in general:

That was fun. I think I need to go back to Scotland now. The only time I've been there I didn't go to a single distillery. It was a great trip though. Scotland is beautiful.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

gtr2

This thread is a bad influence FYI....  So I'm a light occasional drinker to begin with... I've tried some whiskey before, hated it...my wife got it for a recipe..

Then I tried some Highland Park 12 (off of Jon's suggestion) and after a little investigation on the proper tasting I found that it was in fact quite enjoyable.  Much more so than I anticipated.  May be the occasional drink of choice.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chromesphere

Hey Josh, how did you find the highland park (12y)?  I've read its "peaty".  Also just wondering what was the whisky you drank that you disliked?  Just curious.

gtr2

Quote from: chromesphere on July 23, 2014, 02:16:38 AM
Hey Josh, how did you find the highland park (12y)?  I've read its "peaty".  Also just wondering what was the whisky you drank that you disliked?  Just curious.

Honestly, I'm not sure.  I don't have much to compare it to.  It does have a bit of an earthy quality to it but not overpowering.  Haha, the other was some Tennessee bourbon, pretty cheap stuff that was for making a bbq sauce...
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

chromesphere

oh cheap bourbon.  Havent drunk THAT since I was early 20's.  Yeah its nasty stuff.  Would have liked to taste the bbq sauce though :D

Aparently highland park flavour combines all the different regions in a very well balanced way.  Heres Ralfy's review on it, with which he gave it a thumbs up:

pryde

I no longer drink at all, completely stopped 3 years ago. I was a whisky man when I did drink. I went for the peaty scotch and found Laphroaig most pleasing out of all I tried.

Not scotch but drank buckets of Templeton Rye whisky back then. Awesome stuff: