News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My New Vice? (whisky)

Started by chromesphere, July 14, 2014, 06:37:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sikmunky

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. But what better way to introduce myself, than to talk about "that which makes everything better". Lol. The dilution method with water is good, however, after taking the Jameson factory tour a fee years back, I learned the difference. Mind you, I'm talking about whiskey only. Not bourbon, scotch, or whatever I'll never be able to afford. Anyway, for every shot glass (1 oz.), do 2 parts good stuff to 1 part water. Example- 2 shots whiskey, 1 shot water. From my experience, makes a g

sikmunky

Hey everyone,

This is my first post. But what better way to introduce myself, than to talk about "that which makes everything better". Lol. The dilution method with water is good, however, after taking the Jameson factory tour a fee years back, I learned the difference. Mind you, I'm talking about whiskey only. Not bourbon, scotch, or whatever I'll never be able to afford. Anyway, for every shot glass (1 oz.), do 2 parts good stuff to 1 part water. Example- 2 shots whiskey, 1 shot water. From my experience, a good night. But the dimebag and zakk wylde method has always been WAY MORE fun, and occasionally led to some epic guitar nights. My 2 cents for what it's worth.

Brandon

chromesphere

Hey Sikmunky, let me be the first to say welcome to the forum!

I've actually stopped putting any water in the whisky, for the pure reason that I keep forgetting lol.  I think it ..can.. help with certain whiskies but im not noticing much difference with the very small amount that im adding (half a teaspoon to maybe, 30ml of whisky).  No profressional here, only been drinking the stuff for about a month now but that's my experience so far.

I'm half way through my bottle of spey river.  Having just a nip each night.  I decided to go back to the old pulteney.  Didn't realise for the first 1/3 of the bottle of old pulteney (half sized bottle) that it is in fact lightly peated.  Also noticing that spey river is pretty accessible but alas, one dimensional in flavour compared to others I have tried. I must be learning to use my tastebuds (and nose) :)

Winter will be over soon, so it will be back to the beer lol
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

alanp

Picked up a bottle of Bowmore 12YO.

You can taste smoke in it. Lots and lots of smoke. Kinda reminds me of Lapsang Souchong tea, actually.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

the3secondrule

I've got a bottle of the dimple 15yo on the way. It's a blend, but it's a blend that includes one of my favourites malts, glenkinchie, as it's main component, so I have high hopes. Should be able to give it a review tomorrow evening ;)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

chromesphere

Perfect time for a thread resurrect The3secondrule! 

I realise this is an 'introductory' offering, but decided to get 12yo glenlivet today, just trying it now.  I want to start at grass roots so I know when im drinking something special if you know what I mean. I was going to get highland park but it was no longer on sale and glenlivet was.  Its a simple malt.  Even simpler then Spey River.  So far im getting honey and floral.  Very short finish.  really easy to drink though, doesn't offend or challenge in any way.  Definitely on the sweeter side of whiskys I have tasted so far.  I gotta say its a great everyday malt for the money.

So far old pulteney is my favourite and that includes all the islays I tried, I think they are just too intense for my palate at the moment.  I have a feeling highland park is going to be a new favourite as well.  It has all the characteristics that I like in old pulteney.  Well...alteast it checks out on paper..

the3secondrule

A nice "gateway" into the islays is Jura. I believe it's an island verrrry close to islay, and it's is peaty, but the smoke isn't the main note. The Jura 16 is nicely complex, with just a subtle smokiness. Doesn't have the seasalt/seaweed tones a lot of the islays have either. Worth checking out if you come across it...

And if you wanna blast your taste buds to smithereens, try the laphroig cask-strength. A couple of those, and you wake up feeling like you smoked a cigar, and then chewed the butt  :o

It's an experience alright

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

chromesphere

That's how I felt with lagavulin.  I could swear I was tasting it 2-3 hours later! (after only a small sample).  Its a bit full on for me, but I definitely prefer a very small amount of peat in whisky though, adds a new dimension to the flavour.  This is where it starts before I turn into a peathead hah? lol

Thinking back to glenlivet last night, I know its considered an introductory single malt, but its probably the easiest whisky to drink that I have tried so far.  It sat favourably with my taste buds as well and as Ralfy on youtube says "just gives you a gentle hug".  Probably my 2nd favourite (next to old pulteney).

midwayfair

Quote from: chromesphere on August 07, 2014, 04:38:27 PM
Thinking back to glenlivet last night, I know its considered an introductory single malt, but its probably the easiest whisky to drink that I have tried so far.  It sat favourably with my taste buds as well and as Ralfy on youtube says "just gives you a gentle hug".  Probably my 2nd favourite (next to old pulteney).

It's introductory because it's iconic. Just because something is commonplace and not expensive doesn't mean it isn't right. It doesn't care what you had for dinner, can be drank with or without water, pairs with and stands up to a lot of food, and will taste about the same every year, every bottle, whether you opened it tonight or a month ago.

chromesphere

So it was fathers day yesterday.  And when asked what I wanted, I decided it was time to try highland park (12yo). 

"Happy Fathers Day".  Cracks it open.  "Paul its 9am". ...I don't see the problem here...? :D

I'll try not to surmise on first...ahem...dram...But let me surmise.  So far, its peaty.  Mild peat.  I see why they say it's well balanced, I'm getting that.  Unfortunately at this point however peat tends to override anything else that's going on with my tastebuds.  Just hijacks the whole system.  The peat isn't enough for me to be turned off.  Quite the opposite actually.  I reckon I get a lingering smokey flavour in my mouth for about 2-3mins which is a nice, then it buggers off which is good.  Lagavulin is just ridiculous.  Hours later and I was still tasting it.  Like smoking a car tyre.  I don't know if I would ever enjoy that sort of whisky.  For now highland park is my go to for peat even if its only mild. 

So I don't think I could drink this every night.  Its still pretty peaty for my palate (at this stage).  But it will be a nice break from the 'safe' glenlivet every now and then. 

Old Pulteney is still my favourite at this point.  It's probably more a special occasion drink as its pretty expensive. 

Spey river was nice but I wouldn't buy it again.  It's a little one dimensional and pretty sweet.  Whenever I drink it I just think to myself "I could be drinking glenlivet instead". Lol

So anyway, that's my whisky landscape at the moment.  Thought I would update the chronicle :D

GazMX5

I do enjoy whisky and whiskey as well. Personal favorite is Talisker 10, only because my wife and I went to the distillery when touring Scotland a few years ago. Just smelling the whisky takes us back to the Isle of Skye. I love me an Islay as well, Lagavulin 16 and Laphroig cask strength are favorites.

alanp

Picked up a bottle of "Obolon Strong" from the Four Square today. The ONLY English writing is on the little Importer sticker on the neck -- everything else is in Cyrillic. If it wasn't for the little label, I'd have to resort to a photo of the label.

Ukrainian beer. In NZ. It's a funny old world. Quite nice, too -- got a kind of radler zest to it, but still somewhat lagery, with a 7.1% punch to it (not the usual bland weak tea 4% lager taste at ALL.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

gtr2

Hmm...time for a thread bump...

After finishing up my Highland Park 12.  I moved on to Glenfiddich 12.  Smooth, less smokiness, nice citrus type notes...from what I remember...  Its a while in between drinks for me...

Anticipating maybe a Glenlivet 12 for Christmas....
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

selfdestroyer

Funny you updated this, one of my vendors just got me a bottle of Highland Park 12 and another vendor got me a bottle of Balvenie 12 Yr. I love the Balvenie but have yet to try the Highland Park and look forward to it.

Cody

chromesphere

Its summer here in oz so whisky's not the drink of choice at the moment!

Before the heat hit, I bought a bottle of Dewars, a really cheap blend.  I honestly thought after all these higher end single malts it was going to taste nasty but for my unrefined pallet its actually pretty dam nice! I get some notes of honey and smoke. I was drinking it quite a bit, look forward to hitting it when it cools off again.

Oh yeah and its 28 bucks...Much nicer then red label but then that's not hard now is it :)