News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy problem

Started by bangerang101, April 25, 2011, 05:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bangerang101

Ok, my fault, I just checked it again. Pin 8 is actually 5.3, before I wasn't touching the dmm lead on the pin properly.

Also, here are some pics of the board I attatched...

[attachment deleted by admin]
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

bangerang101

here's a better one of the top...

[attachment deleted by admin]

gtr2

Your clock signal is a little weak like I mentioned earlier.  Maybe try changing the value of r19 to get a little more juice to the clock.  Just make sure your don't give it more than 9v because the bbd voltage is affected by r19 as well.  The datasheet says the clock can up to 12V and the bbd 8v, but I've been running my v3205's at 9v with no problems.

I really don't know if this will help but it's worth a shot.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

I'm still thinking there is a solder joint somewhere that weakened during the boxing possibly.  Do you have continuity from the underside of the board to the leads on your clock trim.  Maybe it tugged a joint a little while handling?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

While there is still a possibility that theres a weak joint somewhere from handling and boxing it up, this is the first thing I thought of when it stopped working, and I have since resolderd the pots and made the leads shorter on them, and also resoldered all the pads for the pots on the board, and all the wires to the board as well...     

Thanks so much BTW, for responding so quickly and being so helpful... really appreciate it :)

gtr2

No problem.  You'll get it figured out.  I would try adjusting your clock/bbd voltage though.  I just used a 9v regulator in r19 to keep the supply constant.  Depending on your power supply the voltage can vary from one 9v wall wart to the next.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

Oh alright, well... I just changed r19 to a 1k instead a 1.5k to no avail... still exactly the same, not passing a any kind of delay but has a reverb sound. It's really weird, the clock trimpot isn't really effecting the sound at all, except in one spot (about 9:00), it just kind of does a warble sound. It almost seems like the delay pot and clock trimmer aren't working properly, somehow. Don't know what else to try though...

bangerang101

Was wondering... would it be wise to use a 5v regulator instead of a 9v one... reason I ask is, they have 5v and 12v regulators at radioshack, so I wouldn't have to order online and wait, to work on it more. Also, what are the odds of this even fixing my problem?

gtr2

I don't think that the regulator is necessary right now.  There must be something going on in the E1 area of the schematic.  You never mentioned what clock you were using.  I assuming it's a v3201.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

Do you have enough access under the clock trimmer to check continuity between each trimmer leg and the component it traces to?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

Yeah, my multi-meter doesn't have continuity test on it though so... can I tell by using ohms or voltage somehow? Like... would I just set it to ohms and check between the legs, and if I get a reading, I have continuity?

gtr2

use the ohms setting on your dmm, if it shows OL there is no continuity

Check continuity for example between leg 1 of the trim and r21.  If you show a numerical value you have continuity.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

ok, from bottom of leg 1 of the clock trimmer to the top of r21 resistor, Im getting continuity... my DMM is saying around 15k or something.

From leg 2 (middle leg) of the clock trimmer to r22 I'm also getting continuity.

From leg 3 of clock trimmer to leg 6 of the clock IC, it's going sporadic w/ numbers and a negative symbol down (up?), to zero, back and forth.... not sure if this is because it's an IC and not a resistor, or what.

Also, between the legs of just the trimmer itself, it's not giving me a steady reading... it's just being sporadic 

bangerang101

also, yeah... I'm using the v3102 for the clock IC

gtr2

As long as it didn't say OL your fine.

Hmm...  The quick check to rule out the clock ic would be to swap it out, but unfortunately it's not socketed.  It just seems that since it did delay that it should be something else.

It acts like when the clock trim is at the minimum setting.  You could go through and carefully reflow solder through the components in question to rule out a bad joint in the clock section...  Just take your time with the IC.  Quickly do one leg and wait for a while before doing the next leg.  Be careful not to get the board to hot.  Just do one joint every 20 seconds or so.

I'm not really sure what else to say  ???  Good luck!  Sometimes, taking a break is the best thing to do for a problem build too.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer