News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbringer One

Started by Loose, August 10, 2014, 01:55:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loose

Hey guys,
I'm having some problems with my Harbringer One build.

When the volume is at max on the chorus side the volume is below unity, when I switch to the vibrato mode I get just the dry signal with a hint of vibrato.

Any ideas?

Thanks

brejna

I think that in vintage mode it is normal that you have little volume drop, but in modern mode it should be in unity.
If you want unity gain in vintage mode also, change R2 to 1M.

Loose

Thanks i'll try changing R2.

What about the vibrato mode not working? A faulty switch maybe?

brejna

Quote from: Loose on August 10, 2014, 10:44:01 PM
Thanks i'll try changing R2.

What about the vibrato mode not working? A faulty switch maybe?
It could be faulty switch, definitely check that also.

Loose

Any way to check that without unsoldering the switch? Because that's a nightmare... :)

pietro_moog

if the switch is switching, the switch works. try to check the resistors around the switch and around Q1, Q2, Q3.
in the vintage mod the volume should work like you describe. try to make R2 bigger, and maybe remove R1.
R1 & R2 form a voltage divider, this explain the lower volume. the jfet buffer should only give a broader frequency spectrum if you remove the voltage divider.

brejna

If you have multimeter you can do it. Don't power pedal and flip switch in one position and check connectivity between those 1-2 and then 2-3.

midwayfair

Did you try adjusting the trims again in vibrato mode?

Double check R12 for your vibrato mode problems. Look on the schematic and you can see that one mode changes the bass cutoff and has less dry signal, while the other mode has more dry signal, less effected signal, and the bass is shifted downward. You can futz around with R11-R14 if you need to change the mix, R11 and R12 in particular.

It's not your switch. If the switch were broken somehow, you either wouldn't be able to switch modes, or you wouldn't hear anything. It just switches between two output places.

Loose

OK I think I found the problem, I forgot put in and solder R8 :)

Troubleshooting always ends with some lame human error for me.

brejna

Loose

So I put in the missing R8.

With intensity on max the vibrato is pretty subtle, and is only noticeable when the speed is pretty high, it also boosts the volume a bit when the volume is on max. Is this normal?
If I change R1\R2 to give the chorus mod more volume would it raise the vibrato's volume as well? Because there's a big volume difference when changing from chorus to vibrato and i'd like to balance them and not raise the vibrato's volume even more.

Thanks

brejna

It is normal, just get use to that :) You can use vintage mod with vibrato and modern with chorus mode. But if you want best of it, it really needs good biasing..
EDIT: It also depends a lot on the LDR/bulb combination

Loose

So biasing affects the mods volume? How do you control the bias?

brejna

Quote from: Loose on August 12, 2014, 01:12:36 AM
So biasing affects the mods volume? How do you control the bias?
I meant that best of the effect you can get with good biasing

Quote from: Loose on August 11, 2014, 11:30:49 AM
If I change R1\R2 to give the chorus mod more volume would it raise the vibrato's volume as well? Because there's a big volume difference when changing from chorus to vibrato and i'd like to balance them and not raise the vibrato's volume even more.
If you make changes in the input of the effect it will affect both, vibrato and chorus..
For me this little volume behavior between vib/cho is ok :D

Loose

Thanks brejna

So I messed around with R1 and R2. Jumping R1 gives a nice little volume boost but still not unity. Raising R2 adds treble which I don't really like.

Any other ways to raise the volume?