News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Norstortion - HM-2 Stereotype Content

Started by chuckbuick, August 28, 2014, 12:27:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chuckbuick

Here's a Boss HM-2 clone I did in SMD form, of course.  First off I want to give a shout out to the3secondrule for helping me sort out the schematics for this one.  Thanks again, Jeremy, you were a big help.

I added a Mid control and did a few of the Wampler mods (some simple component value changes) to reduce fuzziness.  The mods weren't major but they were a little help.

Now I've never used an HM-2 so I can't do a direct comparison, but this isn't quite what I was hoping for.  I was thinking of something a bit more compressed, maybe.  I'm not very good at describing pedal tones so that may not be the best word for it.  But I do have an Amptweaker Tight Metal clone and I guess that is more of what I was expecting.  This is not quite on par with that. 

Anyhow, here's some pics.  I was going for a Swedish metal thing, in case you can't tell. :)

karter2000

Wow, very nice. If you have an extra board I'd be interested.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Leevibe

That is such incredibly beautiful, detailed work in and out. I love that you have everything cranked to 11 for the pic!

wgc

Sweeeeeet!  Another awesome layout Mark!  Gotta say the graphic looks more Danish though, aside from the colors.  I love it anyway.  ;)   (And Sweden is awesome.)

I was never really a fan of the boss distortions in general, not sure why, but even the hm2 never had the crunch I was looking for, so I think I know what you mean.  I had much better luck with the distortion plus, and the rat. The led colors might make a difference here too.

Is that water slide?  I gotta get some of that wire...
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

chuckbuick

Thanks dudes.
Quote from: karter2000 on August 28, 2014, 12:41:19 AM
If you have an extra board I'd be interested.
I do.  And you're welcome to it.  PM me your address and it's yours.
Quote from: Leevibe on August 28, 2014, 12:52:15 AMI love that you have everything cranked to 11 for the pic!
Yeah, I learned that in this video of how to get the proper Swedish death metal sound.

Quote from: wgc on August 28, 2014, 01:45:03 AM
Sweeeeeet!  Another awesome layout Mark!  Gotta say the graphic looks more Danish though, aside from the colors.  I love it anyway.  ;)   (And Sweden is awesome.)

I was never really a fan of the boss distortions in general, not sure why, but even the hm2 never had the crunch I was looking for, so I think I know what you mean.  I had much better luck with the distortion plus, and the rat. The led colors might make a difference here too.

Is that water slide?  I gotta get some of that wire...
If you rotate it CW 90 degrees it's an elongated Swedish flag.  When I was looking for the flag I ended up reading quite a bit of the Swedish wikipedia page and it made me want to go.  Sounds like a pretty nice place they have there.

It is indeed a waterslide decal over a semi-polished box.

BTW, the jumper is there because I decided to try it with the stock tone setup and foolishly cut the trace from C17 to the Mid pot instead of just pulling the cap.  I decided the Mid pot was definitely a go so had to jumper it to get it back.

lincolnic

Incredible layout, incredible wiring. Love the decal as well.

the3secondrule

"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

icecycle66

karter2000

Your SMD solder work is amazing! What technique do you use? Do you use a solder mask stencil?

GrindCustoms

Very nice as usual Mark!

There's not much other setting than everything full blast on these.

Dont know why Wampler wants to take the Fizz out, it's what it's all about..

Also, using C-taper pots for bass and treble is probably the best thing you can do on it, these at least become responsive and have à greater useable range.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

wgc

I did pick up on the flag, it's a great graphic- just busting chops!

Sweden is a wonderful place. I used to travel to Denmark for work, 14-15 times I think. Denmark is great too but everything closes at 5, and some of the food isn't so good. So I'd spend my free time in Sweden instead.  :)
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Cloverleaf

Super clean, looks great! Any chance for an audio demo? :)

pickdropper

Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

chuckbuick

Thanks again, guys.
Quote from: karter2000 on August 28, 2014, 06:22:31 AM
Your SMD solder work is amazing! What technique do you use? Do you use a solder mask stencil?
The basics are apply flux to all the pads, apply solder to one pad for each component, grab part with tweezers, heat pad with solder on it and place part.  I usually place all caps and resistors first.  Once I have them all placed and am sure I have all the parts in their correct locations I go around and solder the other side.  Then I move on to IC's, diodes, etc. using the same basic method.  With IC's I tack it down with one corner pad and make sure all legs are lined up on their pads.  Then I tack the opposing corner making sure everything is still lined up.  Then I solder the rest of the legs.
Quote from: Cloverleaf on August 28, 2014, 02:13:14 PM
Super clean, looks great! Any chance for an audio demo? :)
Sorry, man.  I have no recording gear other than my phone.  The sound quality is worse than my playing quality.  But I checked out a few more youtube vids and I feel confident that it is a solid representation of an HM-2.
Quote from: pickdropper on August 28, 2014, 04:05:23 PM
Awesome. 
You are!
Quote from: wgc on August 28, 2014, 12:25:04 PMSweden is a wonderful place. I used to travel to Denmark for work, 14-15 times I think. Denmark is great too but everything closes at 5, and some of the food isn't so good. So I'd spend my free time in Sweden instead.  :)
I went to Reno once for work.  Not quite the same, though :)