News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

egodriver, crapped out :(

Started by mattpoole, April 30, 2011, 06:12:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattpoole

my ego driver, which worked perfectly, has ceased to work properly.

problem: with all 3 pots all the way up the volume is still very low.

the gain seems to work, it is too quiet to tell about tone, and the volume must be cranked to hear it all.

i have checked for unwanted bridges and every thing seems good. leading up to the problem the jacks loosened possibly causing some unwanted connections. if i remember properly i was getting no sound when the pedal was engaged and after working on it no sound ever, and i don't remember how i eventually had very low output. at some point in time i think i remember seeing a strand of wire that possibly was connecting terminals 2 & 3 on the gain section of the pcb. i think i have a failed component somewhere.

does anyone have a guess of where to start?

thanks for reading,
matt poole

p.s.
i will probably be slow to respond because i won't be online tomorrow.

petesz

I would say its far more likely to be a wiring problem than any components dying, unless u have run the pedal at more than 18 volts..? Everything worked previosuly so u know the components do work, and a solder bridge probably wouldn't just happen randomly unless u had been soldering. Loose jacks suggests something may have come loose, a cold solder joint may have made a wire fall off a terminal, or a stray wire may have moved and be causing an unwanted connection, or maybe the jacks are no longer grounded properly anymore ?
I'd start by double checking all off board wiring and having a fiddle to checkfor any loose connections. If you still can't find it then next thing I'd do is unbox it... But check wiring and connections first!

mattpoole

the wiring to the jacks is fine because my signal is normal when bypassed. maybe i created a cold joint to my pcb somewhere when i was tightening my jacks. when i engage the pedal the signal is extremely weak and guess what particular connection could be amiss?