News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flintlock Flanger Frustration

Started by electricb, September 11, 2014, 12:58:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gordo

I got the last of my FL parts in today and fired it up and....fail...

I'm not even getting 15V out of the charge pump so I need to pull the diodes and figure out where I've gone wrong.  I think I jinxed myself by trying to encourage everyone else :-\
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

electricb

Good luck gordo! I wish I could help you, but I haven't returned to this build yet. I don't know if I will, but I already drilled the enclosure so I am motivated to finish it at some point.

Scruffie

electricb, if you can't get it working as the voltages are so close to normal i'll give you a one time offer (as in this is not open to everyone, not that you must decide this second haha) to have it posted to me and i'll get it going. Although be forewarned I am slow as shit getting stuff posted out... but it happens in the end.

Quote from: gordo on October 31, 2014, 01:21:53 AM
I got the last of my FL parts in today and fired it up and....fail...

I'm not even getting 15V out of the charge pump so I need to pull the diodes and figure out where I've gone wrong.  I think I jinxed myself by trying to encourage everyone else :-\
Does it put out 18V on the cathode of D9? I wouldn't pull parts unless it's necessary.

It's a tricky build, you'll get it going  :)
Works at Lectric-FX

wgc

just a crazy thought to the op

is it possible you accidentally swapped a pot?

I don't know the circuit but it seems pretty easy to do and miss something like that
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

gordo

I think I'm officially losing my mind.  I pulled the 4 diodes to make sure I hadn't screwed up something around the power supply.  I have 2 known working 1054's and getting 9.x volts into the charge pump but measuring output at pin 2 I get exactly 5.2V.  Anyone have any ideas?  Without the diodes and regulator installed I should have isolated the charge pump.  I'm stumped...
Gordy Power

Scruffie

LT1054 pin 2 isn't output, as I said I wouldn't just start pulling parts, what do you get at D9s cathode/regulator input/C34 positive with the diodes installed, the charge pump wont double the voltage without them.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Scruff, should have listened the first time.  I'll repop diodes tomorrow and get back to you.  Thanks!
Gordy Power

Scruffie

You can just leave the regulator out if you want to isolate the charge pump :) you can also leave out D7 & 13 as those aren't needed for the charge pump to function.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Alright, I've got flanging.  Thanks Scruffie for the help on this one.  I either had a wrong diode or reversed one of them but got the charge pump working and put in a fresh regulator.  Put all my chips back in and this thing sounds really good, even without having set the trims yet.  I made sure they all worked.  I need to pickup a frequency counter to do this right.  In the meantime it sounds like Pat Travers in a box and I can get started on drilling the enclosure.  Woohoo!
Gordy Power

Scruffie

Congrats man! Looking forward to the build report ;)

Me & Keefe suggest the VC97 multimeter from ebay for a well priced frequency counter.
Works at Lectric-FX

gordo

Snagged a VC97 from a U.S. source for $22.00 and free shipping. Outstanding. By the time I get the box prepped it should be here!
Gordy Power

electricb

I'm bumping this back up to the top because I am giving it another go. I bought a new Flintlock PCB when they were on sale last week from lectric-fx and I repopulated it, hand measuring every component to ensure it was up to spec. I am just waiting for the SIP op amps to come in, but I am hoping that build number 2 goes better than build number 1. It took a couple years, but I can't let this one get the better of me!

gordo

That's what I did with the Collosolus.  I throuble shot till half the pads fell off and I finally got a second one, which fired up without a hitch.  Hopefully the same happens to you.

I can't believe I missed the 1968 boards.  Of course I don't need it, but I always enjoy your boards.
Gordy Power

Droogie

Same here with the Flintlock! I eventually gave up and salvaged the board for parts, then discovered I had a bum pot! Doh! Built a second and it's fine.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

Martan

A timely revival! I am about to start putting ICs in the Flintlock. Trying to build the Flange group of:
Current Lover: Works
Collasollus: Bloody mess
Flintlock: Almost there
Nameless: Have parts but haven't started