News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wolfshirt - cutting out/dropping volume

Started by the3secondrule, October 01, 2014, 01:54:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the3secondrule

this is a weird one.
I've built up a wolfshirt this evening. fired up first time, was playing for a few minutes and it started gating / sputtering and cutting out. within maybe a minute, the volume completely died. Unplugged for a few minutes, came back, tried again, and then same thing happened, almost immediately.

voltages:
Q   C     B     E
1   5.1   0.5  0
2   4.5   5.2  4.5
3   7      0.8  0.1
4   7.5   0.8  0

anything standing out?
Q2 looks wrong to me.
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

mgwhit

You shouldn't have 0V on any of your emitters.  Check for continuity to ground from those pins.  If there is no short, try subbing the transistors.

Bret608

Let me know if you need voltages from a working unit if you still don't have it sorted after checking as Matt describes.

the3secondrule

Quote from: mgwhit on October 01, 2014, 06:35:08 AM
You shouldn't have 0V on any of your emitters.  Check for continuity to ground from those pins.  If there is no short, try subbing the transistors.

I've checked and I don't have continuity to ground from any of the emitters.
I've replaced Q1+2 with the same result. Now I can't get it passing any signal at all.
I'm off to work soon, but fire any ideas at me and I'll check when I get home

Transistors are pn3565, and I've double/triple checked the pinout

mgwhit

If you can upload some clear photos of both sides of the board, it will be easier to try to debug this.

selfdestroyer

I had a similar issue with another build. It would play fine for 2 or 3 minutes then it would crap out. I replaced the electrostatics and all was well. I think I had a bad batch of 10uFs at one point. Just a thought.

Cody

the3secondrule

Quote from: selfdestroyer on October 02, 2014, 12:07:57 PM
I had a similar issue with another build. It would play fine for 2 or 3 minutes then it would crap out. I replaced the electrostatics and all was well. I think I had a bad batch of 10uFs at one point. Just a thought.

Cody

That had crossed my mind as well... Pretty sure my 10u electros are from Tayda too.