News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Harbinger LDR specs

Started by RobA, October 13, 2014, 07:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobA

I'm getting the parts in line to build a Harbinger and I've got to place an order for some other parts at Allied, so I figured that I'd look at getting the LDR's there. But, they don't have an exact match for the Smallbear part. I looked at the part that is spec'd (but no loner available) in the Neo-Vibe article. That part had a 50k-200k light resistance at 10 Lux and a dark resistance of 20M with a wavelength of 550nm for the peak response. I can find LDR's at Allied for around seventy cents that are close to those specs. The NSL-5542 for example. So, the general is, do I need to look for anything else in the LDR or is that going to be good enough?

A related question is, is the hermetically sealed bit important?
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

Cortexturizer

Quote from: RobA on October 13, 2014, 07:03:45 PM
A related question is, is the hermetically sealed bit important?

This interests me as well.
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

alanp

If the enclosure has heaps of holes in it to let light in, or you regularly douse it in incense, holy oils, and promethium during Mechanicus rites, then I'd say so.

Rob, enough vertical space to socket and see?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

RobA

Quote from: alanp on October 14, 2014, 02:47:44 AM
If the enclosure has heaps of holes in it to let light in, or you regularly douse it in incense, holy oils, and promethium during Mechanicus rites, then I'd say so.

Rob, enough vertical space to socket and see?

I think that the lamp may answer both of those points. Since it's there and not so easily replaced, I'll be trying to maintain a distance between the pedal and incense and bodily fluids -- so maybe no hermetics needed.

The lamps also pretty short, so I'm not sure I can put the LDR's on stilts. I don't really want to socket the lamp. Maybe if there's enough reflected light running around in there it would be OK.

Maybe I'll just order a variety of them and experiment on breadboard.
Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rock•it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).