News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

21st birthday present – part 2

Started by Hogharry, November 13, 2014, 02:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogharry

Possibly the most stressful birthday present ever. I'd recently built my first guitar and my son Dave decided that he wanted one for his birthday. No pressure then. I involved him in the decision making but he didn't see the guitar until he opened the case on his birthday. Mahogany body, mahogany neck and Alnico 8 (yes 8!) high output pickups hand-wound by Ash at Oil City Pickups with coil splits via push-push pots. The finish is a custom colour from Wudtone. I was worried because I expected it to end up a stronger red but it turned out it was exactly what Dave has in mind, so he was very happy. I think of it as the Metalcaster, but he calls it the "Dave Custom". It sounds amazingly good.

...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

upthepunxxx

You are one cool ass dad!! Such a great present, and it turned out beautifully!
Good on ya, dad!

Quote from: Hogharry on November 13, 2014, 02:23:00 PM
Possibly the most stressful birthday present ever. I'd recently built my first guitar and my son Dave decided that he wanted one for his birthday. No pressure then. I involved him in the decision making but he didn't see the guitar until he opened the case on his birthday. Mahogany body, mahogany neck and Alnico 8 (yes 8!) high output pickups hand-wound by Ash at Oil City Pickups with coil splits via push-push pots. The finish is a custom colour from Wudtone. I was worried because I expected it to end up a stronger red but it turned out it was exactly what Dave has in mind, so he was very happy. I think of it as the Metalcaster, but he calls it the "Dave Custom". It sounds amazingly good.

Wake up and smell the noise!!

jkokura

That's a really rad present. Congrats to your son on his 21st B-Day!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Wow, very excellent gift! Your son is a lucky dude, and you are a great dad.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

lincolnic

That's incredibly beautiful. What an amazing gift!

peterc

Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

Hogharry

Thank you all for your kind words. The best part is that my son is very pleased with how it plays and sounds. High praise indeed from someone whose guitar collection includes an ESP Horizon, a Schecter Synester Custom, a Schecter Synester Custom S (the "S" is very important), a PRS SE Custom and more...
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

GermanCdn

Very nicely done, and awesome gift!

The only two guitars I've ever wore out both involved my dad (one was a graduation gift, and the other is the one we got at a clinic we attended together).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.