News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rhubarb & Custard - My first 2-in-1 build

Started by Guybrush, December 02, 2014, 02:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lincolnic

Oh yeah, fader for the win! Great job on this!

Guitarmageddon

Spud knows tone!

Captain Cod at
www.codtone.com

Guybrush

Cheers guys. Glad you like it.

I had a nightmare drilling the enclosure and had to buy another one and start again. I was glad to get this one finished!

For the slider I scored a line into the bare aluminium then with my Dremel carefully drilled lots of small holes along the line. I then used a larger drill and bit to widen and join up the holes. The result at this point as you can see below was far from perfect.

I then printed the graphic onto sticky label and applied it to the enclosure. Sliced down the line where the channel had been cut and folded the edges down which made the channel appear much neater than it actually is ;)

Add a coat of Envirotex (using a match stick to clear the resin out of the fader channel) and Bob's your uncle!

Matt

Matt

Willybomb

chuckbuick

diablochris6

Everything about this design makes me smile. This has a phenomenal look to it. I bet it sounds great!
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

raulduke

culturejam

That slider is so slick. I've always said I'd do a pedal one day with at least one slider, but alas, I have not.  :'(
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Guybrush

Thanks very much guys. Appreciate the kind words.
Quote from: Willybomb on December 03, 2014, 05:00:37 AM
is it Boost -> OD, or OD -> Boost?
Drive into Boost.

Hogharry

Great looking build, loads of fun and I'm sure it sounds good too. The fader is a masterpiece. I wonder if anyone else likes it?
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Hexjibber

That's wicked dude! I love the slider, have thought about trying one many times, box cutting looks like a pain though! The layout is very cool, love the LED placement! :)

Any good tips on envirotex? I've been considering giving it a go as whenever I've painted reverse etched boxes they always chip very easily even with 3-4 layers of clear coat and envirotex looks to be more durable, does it cover the sides as well?

LaceSensor

really cool. glad the crunchbox pcb worked out

Hogharry

Quote from: Hexjibber on December 04, 2014, 03:40:06 AM
Any good tips on envirotex? I've been considering giving it a go as whenever I've painted reverse etched boxes they always chip very easily even with 3-4 layers of clear coat and envirotex looks to be more durable, does it cover the sides as well?
I only do the tops but some people do the sides as well, which brings additional complications. I was looking for an alternative to spraying in our interesting British weather and it was Juansolo and Cleggy (Marauder on here) who showed me the process that I now use. They have a great tutorial here that will help you to get started: http://stompage.juansolo.co.uk/finishing.html . I've noticed that the process has been refined a bit since I last looked and some extra tips have been added. The decals I use are self-adhesive similar to the ones in the tutorial but I'm sure the method would work with water slide decals or etches. If you want to do the sides as well then I'm sure someone on here can help.
...and then of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left hand side...

Guybrush

The only issues I've ever had when using Envirotex are from my own clumsiness. It's a pretty simple process if you take your time. This is what I do:

Drill the enclosure

Stick on the decal but don't cut out the parts that cover the drill holes. I simply print my designs onto A4 sticky labels.

Place the enclosure in a shallow box and prop it up on a piece of cardboard bent to shape. This is just to give it some clearance from the box and allow any excess resin to drip off.

Use a spirit level (there's an app for that) to make sure the enclosure is level. You don't want all of the Envirotex running off at an angle.

Pour equal amounts of the epoxy and hardener into a plastic cup. About half an inch of each liquid is plenty for a standard sized enclosure.

Mix like crazy for a couple of minutes.

Pour on to the enclosure top. Do it slowly and make sure the entire top surface is covered. Pay close attention to the edges of the decal.

If your doing the whole enclosure poor enough on so that the resin runs down the sides of the enclosure. It will naturally work it's way around any holes you have drilled for the in/out jacks etc.

Use a small spoon (that you don't mind ruining. The plastic ones that you get from cafés are good) and scoop up the excess resin that dripped off the enclosure and pooled in the box.

Poor this on to any gaps that you spot. You'll have to keep doing this until everywhere is covered.

Gently blow on the surfaces to pop the bubbles that will have appeared. Don't forget this or you'll have a very bubbly, cloudy looking finish.

Cover and leave to sit for 20 minutes.

Come back to it and use your spoon to remove any drips that have formed along the bottom edge. Repeat as needed.

Leave for 24 hours minimum.

Flip the enclosure over onto a clean surface. Using a Dremel and small bit carefully 'cut out' the bits of the decal (now covered in E'tex) which are covering your drill holes. Press down onto the underside of the enclosure so you don't accidentally lift the decal when drilling. Don't rush this.

Use a craft knife to carefully remove any resin that has gathered on the bottom edge of the enclosure.

All done.

I know you said you want to cover an etch Hexjibber so you obviously won't be using decals. What I'd suggest is simply sticking tape to the underside of the drilled holes so that the Envirotex won't drip through. Once dry, remove the tape and cut out the holes with a dremel as mentioned above.

Hope that helps!